Anyone else find this at least unnerving....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Kinda funny that they bring up Tesla being an autonomous vehicle. the Tesla in the incident was not in "self driving" mode and many Teslas don't even have that mode. I read about this incident in a few articles yet this was the first one that brought up anything about autonomous vehicles.

In no way is the Tesla an autonomous vehicle. You can put it into self driving mode but what it really does is just keep you in the lane, adjust the speed to traffic and alert and brake if traffic stops ahead. Tesla tells you to keep your hands on the wheel at all times.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-tesla...iving-hardware

Not sure if it is funny...but it may underscore the lack of familiarity with the technology. (I certainly am not particularly clear on it)
Is "autonomous" synonymous with "self-driving".....at least more or less?
If not, the NY Times is also a bit unclear : [h=1]Inside the Self-Driving Tesla Fatal Accident[/h] By ANJALI SINGHVI and KARL RUSSELL UPDATED July 12, 2016

After Joshua Brown, 40, of Canton, Ohio, was killed driving a Tesla Model S in the first fatality involving a self-driving car, questions have arisen about the safety of the car?s crash-avoidance Autopilot system. Tesla told Senate investigators that a ?technical failure? of the automatic braking system played a role but maintains that Autopilot was not at fault.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At any rate, I only said it was an interesting article, not that it was 100% accurate; after all, we are in the age of "alternative facts". :)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I saw that Tesla said they have "driver assist" mode, not autonomous or driverless - big difference?

southkogs

Staff member
IIRC - the incident with the Tesla that resulted in the driver's death was due to the driver using a "driver assist" like an "autopilot."

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The writing is on the wall. Autonomous vehicles are going to happen. What's going on with them now is just growing pains.

This whole thing is reminiscent of what happened to piston engine fighters at the close of WW2. Those machines were at the pinnacle of their abilities but even the rudimentary jet fighters of the time were quickly surpassing them.

Technology rolls on and will not be stopped. Horse and buggy, piston engine fighters, myspace, print media and now “regular” vehicles. All dropped or are now dropping by the wayside. It’s just the way it is.

I’d say that within 20 years that regular vehicles will start to be phased out. As the technology matures, cities and states will start designating certain lanes for autonomous vehicles only. It will probably expand from there.

Part of the maturing technology will be the “swarming” coordination similar to what is being used for these drones. Each vehicle will “know” where the others are and will be able to coordinate with all the vehicles in the area. It’s gonna happen. So all we can do is enjoy the ride… so to speak. And to enjoy our “regular” vehicles while we can.

100 drone swarm demonstration

500 drone swarm demonstration

Super Bowl 51 half time show with drones

And eventually we’ll all be stuck in the Johnny Cab!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
At any rate, I only said it was an interesting article, not that it was 100% accurate; after all, we are in the age of "alternative facts". :)
Agreed...Not sure why the author went on such a tangent with the autonomous vehicle since the incident was about a driver who got in front of another vehicle and put on his brakes. Could have been any type vehicle that did this

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy all! It's amusing that some will say they'll NEVER get in an "autonomous" self driving car.......

If you've flown ANYWHERE in an airliner in the last 30+ years, you have ridden in the back while the airplane went down the final approach, crossed the "fence" flared, landed and stopped automatically! requiring little or NO pilot input at all.

AND that pilot was unable to see the runway (or anything else) until the airplane was at approx 50ft (now 30ft)

I think autopilot "flown" cars are not only going to happen but they'll be required on certain roads (like HOV lanes etc)

It won't probably happen in Montana (which is why I would move to MT!!) but it WILL happen in the Major Left Coast and other cities! (eventually)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi will introduce semi-autonomous Level 3 vehicles next year that require human intervention within 10 seconds or the vehicle will slow to a stop in its lane. However, other automakers like Nissan and Honda have upcoming systems that give the driver 30 seconds to prepare and re-engage the vehicle or it will pull to the side of the road.

For reference;

1 mile per hour = 1.4667 feet per second, 14.667 feet per 10 seconds, 44.001 feet per 30 seconds.
10 miles per hour = 14.7 feet per second, 146.67 feet per 10 seconds, 440.01 feet per 30 seconds.
20 miles per hour = 29.3 feet per second, 293 feet per 10 seconds, 879 feet per 30 seconds.
25 miles per hour = 36.7 feet per second, 367 feet per 10 seconds, 1101 feet per 30 seconds.
30 miles per hour = 44.0 feet per second, 440 feet per 10 seconds, 1320 feet per 30 seconds - That's 1/4 mile in 30 seconds
35 miles per hour = 51.3 feet per second, 513 feet per 10 seconds, 1537 feet per 30 seconds.
40 miles per hour = 58.7 feet per second, 587 feet per 10 seconds, 1761 feet per 30 seconds.
45 miles per hour = 66.0 feet per second, 660 feet per 10 seconds, 1980 feet per 30 seconds.
50 miles per hour = 73.3 feet per second, 733 feet per 10 seconds, 2199 feet per 30 seconds.
55 miles per hour = 80.7 feet per second, 807 feet per 10 seconds, 2421feet per 30 seconds.
60 miles per hour = 88.0 feet per second, 880 feet per 10 seconds, 2640 feet per 30 seconds or 1/2 mile in 30 seconds
65 miles per hour = 95.3 feet per second, 953 feet per 10 seconds, 2859 feet per 30 seconds.

What are these "engineers" smoking?

OK - So who wants to be the crash test dummy by driving blindfolded for 10 seconds. What can possibly go wrong? Then we'll move up to 30 seconds. :doh:

I agree it's coming, but is it too late for some common sense and reality tempering the drive to put these on the road.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Human intervention means it needs to sense that the driver has his hands on the steering wheel at all times.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes...if it doesn't sense it for that time, it pulls the car over. What time delay would you want before it pulls the car over?

Last edited:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd feel much more comfortable if my wife had a self driving car lol ... Me, on the other hand, loves to go cruising down some unknown country road with my windows down, foot on the gas, hands on the wheel, and going at my own pace

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Having said that, I do believe self driving cars will be here to stay before the middle of the century... I have a part time job "driving" a tractor doing field work , and the GPS technology that has evolved in AG tractors in the last ten years is unbelievable... I hardly ever physically have to drive the tractor... It's kinda cool, but I'd still rather be in control

GA_Boater

Yes...if it doesn't sense it for that time, it pulls the car over. What time delay would you want before it pulls the car over?

Until every car on the road is using the same level of technology, 0 seconds seems about right. Level III cars will be on the roads next year, mixed in all the Level 0's. When all the cars and trucks are at Level 5 when fully-autonomous vehicles are on the road and communicating with each other, seems to be a reasonable time to let the drivers nap safely.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Wow.... That woman could drive.... Scary.....

Whimusky posted this over in the "Random" forum. I wonder what the response sequence is for this in the autonomous cars.

It should be noted that the airliners cruise at different altitudes depending on which heading they're on (East / West) somewhat like having a protected lane. The difference in my mind is that you have two pilots keeping watch (we hope) and they're attentive to the automatic landing system (ALS) (we hope). They also have air traffic control watching everything... Meaning human inputs.

Meanwhile, Ashley's in the back seat smoking a joint with joe since the autopilot is in control..... We'll see.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Whimusky posted this over in the "Random" forum. I wonder what the response sequence is for this in the autonomous cars.
This is the perfect place for an autonomous car. Would anyone really want to drive with this person? :)

If you are too stupid to put the car in low gear or turn the ignition off, you shouldn't be driving. I will take my chances with the autonomous car.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I believe she told dispatch she couldn't get it out of gear. She talked to her husband before calling dispatch and he couldn't help her. Scary situation.
Turning the keys off while going 113 might not work out well when your heading for the median either. Haha, she drives better than me anyway.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Turning the key off would have worked just fine.

It should be noted that the airliners cruise at different altitudes depending on which heading they're on (East / West) somewhat like having a protected lane.
It's ODD altitudes (3000, 5000, etc) when heading 0-179 degrees and EVEN from 180-359 but it doesn't do you any good if 2 or more aircraft are both heading on converging courses at the same altitude.

When above 18000' in the US all the airspace is "controlled" meaning you are always on an instrument flight plan and under FAA air traffic control..... they are required to keep all aircraft separated (from each other)

Below 18000', you can be operating under Visual Flight rules. In that event if you're not talking to a radar controller (and you don't always have to be) you're on your own. ............you have to see and avoid other aircraft yourself.

They also have air traffic control watching everything..
...um....right........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I hope someone is watching. From a few minutes ago - This looks like a slow day except for the NYC-Miami corridor.

airradar.PNG