Anyone else find this at least unnerving....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I totally agree with that statement and is why you see some of the responses in this thread as evidence of that.

Same reason you have people that are totally fearful of vaccines and think they can actually cause autism or give you the flu if yo happen to get a flu shot.

I am at the very least apprehensive.
You, speaking as a "soldier of technology" or even one of the "shock troops", can you honestly say that those of us who are slightly more inclined towards the Luddite end of the bell curve have NOT been provided with ample cause to be ....ummmmm....slightly less than automatically embracing of the claims of some new technologies? :)

As far as flu shots, my doctor told me that you DO actually get the flu.....just VERY mildly.....that is how he says the whole theory of innoculation works. Sounded like a reasonable explanation.
If he is wrong, that would imply that the medical profession is telling us whatever they need to in order to ensure a compliant patient base; now THAT would be scary and perhaps indicative of how some of this lack of trust originates in a population. :eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've always heard you don't get the live virus. Had it once many years ago, got sick. Haven't had it since, I never get the flu. Dad got the shot in the Navy, got sick. He hasn't had one since and he's 79....

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interesting subject. What I found unnerving were the statements made about choosing the smaller target. Instead of hitting another car where the occupants might be protected it drives down a side walk, takes down a M/C, pedestrians, etc., and just a few random thoughts. What's the car do when you have the imbecile that runs across a 6 lane super highway during rush hour traffic. Multiple pile ups on both sides? Sometimes it's the idiot that should die instead of somebody else. No road rage, ok, now I have 2 hands free to handle a shotgun and the other car keeps going unless it also takes your pulse. Liability "no fault" aren't we already experiencing that? It's hard to get an officer to commit. I pay for mine, you pay for yours and we all go home. Just way to many variables.

It won't work with the stupid humans

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So the side effects can basically make you sick, albeit short lived..

Still not going to get one.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So the side effects can basically make you sick, albeit short lived..
No...it won't. Our company provides them to us for free because they don't want us to get sick. They actually have a company come onto our plant site so we don't even have to go anywhere. If they thought it was going to make us sick and miss work, I guarantee they wouldn't do it.

This totally proves my point. If people are scared to get a flu shot, of course they are going to be afraid of a driver less car since people don't understand either.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
This totally proves my point. If people are scared to get a flu shot, of course they are going to be afraid of a driver less car since people don't understand either.

Bruce, I'm not scared to get a flu shot. I never get sick. If it aint broke, don't fix it....... According to the article, there are side effects that make you feel under the weather......

I don't want a driverless car. I like and want to drive...... I still think it's decades out b/4 we see a "majority" of driverless cars on the road.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, I'm not scared to get a flu shot. I never get sick. If it aint broke, don't fix it
So....if there is a vaccination for Alzheimers or Cancer down the road, you wouldn't get that either? Ever hear of herd immunity?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So....if there is a vaccination for Alzheimers or Cancer down the road, you wouldn't get that either? Ever hear of herd immunity?

Comparing cancer to the flu is apples vs oranges..... We need to use a little common sense.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
They need driverless cars in Russia. Couldn't be worse

Having driven throughout Kamchatka and also from Saint Petersburg to Moscow.... I can attest to the 'crazy' Russian drivers. On wind-blown ice and snow covered roads, I was doing 90km/hr (55mph), and being overtaken like I was standing still! :facepalm:

Chris........

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Having driven throughout Kamchatka and also from Saint Petersburg to Moscow.... I can attest to the 'crazy' Russian drivers. On wind-blown ice and snow covered roads, I was doing 90km/hr (55mph), and being overtaken like I was standing still! :facepalm:

Chris........

Maybe you were just spinnin' your wheels. LOL

Pusher

Lieutenant
I've definitely gotten a sick feeling the day after a shot. We get it for health reasons. The alternative is much worse.

Funny story, I missed a Thanksgiving a couple years ago. All 6 of the people in the house got sick at the same time. There were three bathrooms. Thats six people times two orrifices divided by three toilets... That's 4 movements per toilet. Hahaha, was I thankful that Thanksgiving!

I saw the news a couple days ago in... Arizona I think where they're running the driverless cars (with drivers supervising) and mapping the city out. I admit, it may be closer than I thought.

Will I EVER own one? Only if I become a quadrapalegic. My phone can't even come up with an autocorrect when I transpose two letters. That's a big pass for me.

I was watching the crazy russians and thinking to myself, what if you need to gun it past an oncoming object and the car auto brakes for you BECAUSE of the object?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Kinda funny that they bring up Tesla being an autonomous vehicle. the Tesla in the incident was not in "self driving" mode and many Teslas don't even have that mode. I read about this incident in a few articles yet this was the first one that brought up anything about autonomous vehicles.

In no way is the Tesla an autonomous vehicle. You can put it into self driving mode but what it really does is just keep you in the lane, adjust the speed to traffic and alert and brake if traffic stops ahead. Tesla tells you to keep your hands on the wheel at all times.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-tesla...iving-hardware

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Kind of misleading to even mention self driving. The story is simply about the actions of an observant driver who happened to be a Tesla driver.

If it was a self driver, why would it allow the VW to ram instead of safely avoiding the crash?