What Winter Looks Like Outside

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I've lived on Lake Erie all my life and never seen it like this...not a bit of ice, heck people are out fishing today. 2 years ago you could have drove across it to Canada and some people actually did...the ice got so thick that the Coast Guard gave up trying to keep the lanes open. It's tempting to go out, but that water, although not frozen, is still mighty cold.

We too live on Erie. I have seen mild winters but not as mild as this one for this long. Not enough snow even once to use a broom to clean it off the stoop. 2013 and 2014 was brutal though. Ice was too thick to fish through on Long Point Bay plus the fish had moved out to deeper water because it was too cold shallow. I misplaced a bag of scarves, Toques and gloves, don't need them most days. But the overcast days and constant rain is getting to everyone around here, Give me a dry cold calm bluebird sky any day in Winter over this damp to the bone weather any time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This is what Big Bear in CA looks like right now. My GF's cabin.
16266216_10209996889552057_4161910202808677059_n.jpg

Pusher

Lieutenant
Most years we look at it for 6 months........ There, do you feel better???? :)

At that point I'd just move to Alaska and have the benefit of an entire state as my back yard. That sounds unbareable.

You snowmobile though don't you?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep. Need to do something to get thru winter. Go to a lot of b-ball games too..... The long winter isn't what I call fun...

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like ice fishing so I went out again today. Got there at 10:15 and left at noon with my limit of 5 trout ranging from 13" to 16". I would have tossed back the small one but the hook went through an eye.

The recent warmer weather made me a little nervous getting out on the ice. Waded through about 4" of water on the ice for 10' to 15' before reaching good solid ice. There's only about 5" of ice on this lake.

Sorry, no pictures this time since I left the camera in the car and didn't like wading on thin ice more than necessary. I did wear my PFD just in case.

bassman284

Commander
I like ice fishing so I went out again today. Got there at 10:15 and left at noon with my limit of 5 trout ranging from 13" to 16". I would have tossed back the small one but the hook went through an eye.

The recent warmer weather made me a little nervous getting out on the ice. Waded through about 4" of water on the ice for 10' to 15' before reaching good solid ice. There's only about 5" of ice on this lake.

Sorry, no pictures this time since I left the camera in the car and didn't like wading on thin ice more than necessary. I did wear my PFD just in case.
Ice fishermen are definitely a different breed. Nothing on earth could tempt me to step out in those conditions.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Yep. Need to do something to get thru winter. Go to a lot of b-ball games too..... The long winter isn't what I call fun...

That's true. Anytime I go skiing it makes me apreciate the snow.

Ted... I'm with bassman on this one. Especially wading over sinking ice!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's true. Anytime I go skiing it makes me apreciate the snow.

Ted... I'm with bassman on this one. Especially wading over sinking ice!

Usually, water on the ice is due to melting from the topside, like snow. Then more towards spring it runs into cracks in the ice.

People around here like to go out on first ice. Supposedly the bite is better. I'm talking 2/3". Ice picks around your neck in case you fall thru. Allows you to pull yourself out. I've never gone that early.

I have been on "black ice" in the spring. Ice that's ready to go away. It was booming very loud the whole day while fishing.... I trusted the old guy I was with that lived on the lake. It was creepy for a while.

Another time I was on a lake that had about 4/5" of water over the whole lake with my 3/4 ton truck and my kid, later winter. I told the wife I wouldn't go out if there wasn't any other vehicles my size. Well there was when I first went out. When the wife came to check on us, we were the only ones out there, of course. Wife was not happy. She made me bring the kid back and then the kid wasn't happy. There was still 24", just not real primo ice. Plenty for the truck tho. Good ice, I'll go out 11/12" with the truck....

StarTed

There was some noise of chunks falling from somewhere but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Probably somewhere along the bank.

I did have my sled along with me which is like a miniature boat. It floated back across the water near shore. There was plenty of ice once out but the shoreline was scary. I was the only one out there at the time.

3 fire engines went by while I was fishing. One stopped out in front of me for a while then turned around and headed back towards Tum Tum. I met the other 2 back near the highway junction where a car was pulled off and still smoking. It was totally burned. No sign of anyone other than the firemen.

It'll have to get colder again before I'll venture back out there.

Still beat sitting around the house. My shop is too cold for any serious work on the outboard motor.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
k.

I did have my sled along with me which is like a miniature boat. It floated back across the water near shore. There was plenty of ice once out but the shoreline was scary. I was the only one out there at the time.

Early winter ice develops along the shoreline first. In the spring it starts melting by the shoreline. Still can be lots of ice in the middle. Some guys jump the open water onto the ice if it's doable.... Was your sled an Otter?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Two weeks ago - 3-4" of snow. For the month 7.04" of rain, 4.3" over normal and another almost 3" since 4 PM yesterday when the paper got the rain totals. More rain is is coming!

Fortunately for my area no tornadoes, unlike south of Atlanta and S. Ga. 12 dead and plenty of damage.

StarTed

Was your sled an Otter?

Yes, WIMUSKY, my sled is an Otter. It's the size that a small standard bail of hay will fit inside. I bought it at Big R, now North 40. The grandkids like it for sledding down the slopes around here.

Rained some last night then woke up this morning with some fresh snow. Maybe half an inch.

This has sure been a funny winter. I seem to recall similar weather in the 50's in Montana.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
tried my hand at ice fishing this year. I have to admit it must have looked comical to anyone watching me. I haven't been out on ice for many years so I was a bit nervous. started out tip toeing onto the ice. lots of people out there so I know in my mind I should have no worries but still......suddenly a guy rolls by with an ATV pulling a trailer. I feel a bit more confident but still cautious.....suddenly from overhead an airplane some down and lands on the ice.....ok at this point I think I am safe just walk out. first hole I drilled...yeah no wonder the ice was at least 2 feet thick.
didn't catch any but I had a good time trying it. can't wait to get back out and try again.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I was snowmobiling near Hayward, WI about 10 years ago. I stopped by some guys ice fishing (or ice drinking as some of buddies do it) and asked how thick the ice was. He says, "come on over and look. We're at 36". Wasn't too worried about being on ice after that.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I was snowmobiling near Hayward, WI about 10 years ago. I stopped by some guys ice fishing (or ice drinking as some of buddies do it) and asked how thick the ice was. He says, "come on over and look. We're at 36". Wasn't too worried about being on ice after that.

Someone just went thru the ice south of Hayward with their vehicle today. This is after we've had 40deg weather for over a week and on and off rain. What ice is out there must be sketchy for vehicles. Walking you would be fine. Saw another truck on another lake. Thought, "not me".......

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Someone just went thru the ice south of Hayward with their vehicle today. This is after we've had 40deg weather for over a week and on and off rain. What ice is out there must be sketchy for vehicles. Walking you would be fine. Saw another truck on another lake. Thought, "not me".......

Which Lake? My grandparents were on Grindstone (south of town) for 26 years. I know that area like the back of my hand.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Long Lake? Like every state doesn't have about a dozen of those, may be south of Stone Lake too....

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
There are multiple Long Lakes in the northern half of Wisconsin. There is one between Stone Lake and Spooner.