What Winter Looks Like Outside

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I ain't planning on climbing any fences that's for sure ...All water slides will only be water filled and not the hard type ...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Ok, you can come up, but if you want to do some tobogganing, pick your destination carefully. Most of the facilities have been shut down over the years.
And if you want to try it, you need to train, these guys are seasoned professionals.
They endure months of 12 ounce curls, body waxing, and weight training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmI3zx_nwPk

No better trails for snowmobiling than along the souther shore of Lake Superior.
Some darn fine skiing in the UP of Michigan also.

Snow angels can be made anywhere.

Snowman building, you want wetter snow, so usually a bit further south.

And if you can be here by New Years day, there is the Polar Bear Plunge, where you can run across the ice and jump into the chunky water of Lake Michigan.

If you are lucky, it will be mostly open water with few ice chunks to cut your frozen flesh.

f4.jpg

f6.jpg

Attachments

• f6.jpg
    f6.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm headed that way ! If I'm not there by the time y'all take the plunge go ahead and start without me ! :rolleyes: :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I often wondered what makes some folks plunge into freezing temp water? I mean the shock alone could be your end. I can however watch such displays of questionable folks to watch their reactions. But from a nice warm place. Seems like as I get older, I have different mindsets about such harmful things. JMHO

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice pictures, in fact the third one just became my new background on this computer. We have about a foot and a half of the stuff around now and the ponds are safe. Can't say i'm too fond of it though, but my wife and daughter sure love snow days when they don't have to get up early. When I was a kid we would get snow up over all the fences and the banks on the sides of the road left by the snowplow were high enough that you could reach up and touch the lowest telephone wires! We never get snow like that now, must be global warming which from where i'm sitting don't seem such a bad thing.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Funny how some people have cold and wish for warm and some (crazy) people have warm and wish for cold! I've always wanted to live around the middle south where it gets a little cold in winter with very little or no snow and nice long warm seasons. North Carolina always sounded good to me, any snow there yet?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Well, since this thread was hijacked in several different directions, here is one to get it back on track.

Attachments

• photo256960.jpg
    photo256960.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Went fishing in Long Lake Saturday. There was no ice 5 days prior but things changed. When we arrived the temperature was 1 degree above F. There was still some open water but it was closing fast.

We would cast out to the open water and let it sink to the bottom. When we caught a fish we had to bring it back up to the top and work it out on top of the ice. A quick retrieval kept it from freezing to the ice.

As the day progressed the open water began to freeze closed so we had to throw rocks out to break the ice so our sinkers would sink on down. When we caught a fish we had to throw more rocks to break the new formed ice so the line would bring the fish back up and make a hole to drag the fish out on. This was my first time long line ice fishing but it worked. 9 trout were caught and landed this way with another lost at the edge of the old thicker ice. The thickest ice was around 1 1/2" thick so we wouldn't venture out.

Sure beat sitting around in the house keeping warm.;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
X-Country skiing near my home in Lake Tahoe
15822653_10154931835589612_4918618306294235300_n%20%28Small%29.jpg

sam60

Captain
No Title

Attachments

• photo257707.JPG
    photo257707.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257708.JPG
    photo257708.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257709.JPG
    photo257709.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257710.jpg
    photo257710.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Looks a little dry, sam. We'll give you some of the rain up here that's turning everything into ice........ So much for winter sports for a while.....

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
These pictures were taken a few days ago before it got above freezing.

This headless snowman was made by some of our grandkids after Thanksgiving. Now he's collapsed.

Here's where I did some ice fishing.

The frozen catch of trout and one perch.

southkogs

Staff member
Sort-of complaining ... this is turning out to be one of the dumbest winters on record. 14 days over 65 this month, and almost 6" of rain in the last 30 days (which the ground does honestly need). Just a little bit of snow last month.

I've hardly worn a coat all year.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've lived on Lake Erie all my life and never seen it like this...not a bit of ice, heck people are out fishing today. 2 years ago you could have drove across it to Canada and some people actually did...the ice got so thick that the Coast Guard gave up trying to keep the lanes open. It's tempting to go out, but that water, although not frozen, is still mighty cold.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I have been looking at snow for 8 weeks now. It needs to melt already so I can have a break. Ughh. I placed the order for the last of the boat parts (except anchor rode). I have two house projects left and then I'm going to go insane.... Or dspressed šŸ˜­

Edit: just looked out the window and it's trying to snow again. *Face-palm*

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have been looking at snow for 8 weeks now. It needs to melt already so I can have a break. Ughh. I placed the order for the last of the boat parts (except anchor rode). I have two house projects left and then I'm going to go insane.... Or dspressed šŸ˜­

Most years we look at it for 6 months........ There, do you feel better???? :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Still in shorts and tee shirts here ... Getting some rain and the gnats are out ...
GA been getting some real rough weather today .. A lot of storm related deaths ...
Gm , you make it through ok ?