What Winter Looks Like Outside

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thought I'd show some pictures outside taken a few days ago when the frost stuck to the trees.

Deer have dug in the lawn for grass and grandkids left remnants.

Looking a little further southerly. The aspen trees are rather large in a wetland and the pines add to the windbreak..

Today it got above freezing for the first time in 2 weeks. Now It's frozen again.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I got another picture to come out.

It's on the southerly end of the house.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I love seeing snow.....great pictures

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Nice pix! Always nice to see such pictures. From far away! :loco: :nod: :tongue-new: :heh: :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Snow is one of those things that's beautiful to look at in pictures but not real life when you have to deal with it lol

I know. spent 40 years in WI dealing with winters. I still remember the nose hairs freezing up in -30F temps with -90F windchill as a kid delivering newspapers and my frostbit toes walking home at age 16 when the car broke down 4 miles out side of town when it was -35 and I didnt have boots along.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Snow is great to see falling and even a day or two after. But I used to live up north and it always stays around way too long and then turns into gray slush.

Startted, Is that a picture of you in the first picture on the right? :lol:

Nice pictures, but I am very glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. JMHO

southkogs

Staff member
Very pretty! We've had a little dust ... kinda' more of a falling frost ... here so far. That's one of the nice things about snow in Tennessee: it comes down pretty wet and sticks to everything making it really pretty. One of the other nice things is that is has a life cycle of about 48 hours on average, meaning it's here ... and then gone :)

jkust

Rear Admiral
I know. spent 40 years in WI dealing with winters. I still remember the nose hairs freezing up in -30F temps with -90F windchill as a kid delivering newspapers and my frostbit toes walking home at age 16 when the car broke down 4 miles out side of town when it was -35 and I didnt have boots along.

It's funny, i'm a life long Minnesotan and of course it get's cold here. My wife will laugh at me when I throw those really cold numbers from back in the day around because since they changed how windchill is calculated way back when you just don't hear numbers like that any longer.
Snow is just no big deal. It's the ice on the roads that the salt can't melt after the storm that causes all of the travel issues that robs you of your time. The more snow, the better since the deal you make with the devil for living in such an unhospitable climate is for the cold we expect snow to go snowmobiling and have a reason to spend time at our lakehomes.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
.... The more snow, the better...

Thanks jkust - glad I'm not the only one. Lived in the northeast for a half-century, and still love the snow. While it puts a pause in boating, it sure makes you appreciate it all the more when the water is back to liquid. My brother hates it, and moved to the southwest long ago - he says the only place ice should be is in the cooler.

Thanks for the pics StarTed - I never tire of seeing scenes like that, got any more?

aspeck

Staff member
jkust, I am with you ... I love cold and SNOW! Hate ice, but love snow! Those pics are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I like visiting places like this. I just don't want to live in places like this.

I am blessed that I have places up in the snow that I can drive to and then drive back home.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I like visiting places like this. I just don't want to live in places like this.

I am blessed that I have places up in the snow that I can drive to and then drive back home.

this and the ice in the cooler comment

you people that are 'used to it' and are lifelong residents - spend a few years out of it and your perception will change. Did for me and everyone I know that has done it. Us rednecks don't move north, only more souther.

southkogs

Staff member
This is last year here near Nashville, TN:
Ice_01.jpgIce_02.jpg

Every couple years we have a significant ice storm. Horrible for movin' around town, and hard on HVAC and plumbing down here ... but it's spectacular to look at. Again, fortunately gone within a couple days.

My pictures ain't as pretty as yours though :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It's funny, i'm a life long Minnesotan and of course it get's cold here. My wife will laugh at me when I throw those really cold numbers from back in the day around because since they changed how windchill is calculated way back when you just don't hear numbers like that any longer.
Snow is just no big deal. It's the ice on the roads that the salt can't melt after the storm that causes all of the travel issues that robs you of your time. The more snow, the better since the deal you make with the devil for living in such an unhospitable climate is for the cold we expect snow to go snowmobiling and have a reason to spend time at our lakehomes.

While they changed the windchill model slightly in 2001, the resultant "windchill temperature" from the formula are different. using the new formula, the windchill would be -68 degrees (-30 degree temp, 32mph winds - Week of January 10-17th, 1982 Manitowoc Wisconsin, ). still doesnt change the fact that my nose hair were frozen, the car died, and I suffered frost bite.

I was there for lake Michigan being frozen about 95% in 1979. Glad I missed the Midwest winter of 2013/2014

While I love ice fishing and snowmobiling, I can no longer take the cold temperatures. then again, we hit 88 degrees again the other day here in Bradenton, I thought it was lovely.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hey scott got a buddy on my other forum that lives there and one i've visited a few times just north in Brandon.

Last time i got that way a couple years ago we all hit some gambling joint where I promptly lost $200. Kinda felt like boating.

Going too try (again) to make Gasparilla this year. Either way next time I get down that way I'll let you buy me a beer or three..