RIP John Glenn

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
We have lost an american hero :( I remember his first flight and his later flight into space.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
To bad to hear that he has passed, he was a good guy, had occasion to speak with a few times over the years when I will still in Washington DC.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can't even begin to imagine what he seen in his life time. To have walked on another sphere (almost said planet) and see the sights he's seen had to be the most amazing life ever. RIP.

82rude

Rear Admiral
R.I.P. John Glenn.One of a few humans that have slipped the bounds of our little planet.Well, on to kodi and The Right Stuff, in his memory.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It took guts to sit atop the Atlas Missile. At the time it was as stable as a can of nitroglycerin is in a paint shaker. In 1998 he rode an even more dangerous ship back into space. RIP Mr. Glenn, you had the guts, and the Right Stuff to be a Pioneer.

southkogs

Staff member
Friendship 7

I always enjoyed the space race, and Glenn certainly held a big role in that. Amazing things he did in that era, and I'm grateful to have watched some of it.

God rest you John Glenn.

64osby

Admiral
RIP A true American Hero.

I started reading The Right Stuff (again) a day before he passed away.

The things that he, the other astronauts, the X-1 pilots and all the test pilots did were amazing.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I echo what jimmbo said. It took a lot of tries to make those early rockets even semi stable. So many exploded on the pad or right after takeoff. Those guys had titanium cojones, alright.

Glenn was a class act and a wonderful example for the U.S. I was 9 or 10 years old when the space race went into full swing. It was an incredibly exciting time, when the country had a sense of purpose. Anything was possible, and Glenn and his co-adventurers personified the can-do attitude this nation had back then.

RIP, John Glenn. Thanks for everything.