College Basketball 2016/17

aspeck

Staff member
In order to keep administration happy, and also some members, here is your chance to bloviate on all things College Hoops ... Like how the Kentucky Wildcats will be unstoppable as the year progresses and they mature as a team, or how bad the Penn State Basketball team really is, or ... have fun, keep it fun and appropriate (you have done well with the football threads, I expect the same type of behavior here). iboats_tim

iboats_tim

User
Thanks Art! Wasn't sure if college hoops were popular around here or not. Hoping my Bruins don't completely embarrass themselves tomorrow against UK tomorrow at Rupp! Curious to see if we're actually good or not...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Then I can discuss how MSU is going to suck in B-ball too.... Although, they've played some top ranked teams already. Maryland is topping the list, for now. Mn only lost 1 game. But, conference play doesn't start for a while.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A fitting smilie for this thread. :bounce:

Until March Madness - :tape: LOL

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Art! Wasn't sure if college hoops were popular around here or not. Hoping my Bruins don't completely embarrass themselves tomorrow against UK tomorrow at Rupp! Curious to see if we're actually good or not...
Been to a bunch of games since I have season tickets. Lonzo Ball and TJ Leaf are pretty damn good freshman.

aspeck

Staff member
UK's Fox and Monk are pretty impressive ball players, as is the rest of the team. It should be a good test for both teams. I will be missing out on watching the game, however ... I will be attending to things in another thread here. ;) I will be checking the phone for updates, however.

As for PSU, they had trouble beating Duquesne, George Washington and Colgate and got trounced by Cincinnati (21 points) but held tough with Duke (10 point loss). At 5-3 with their 2 losses to the above and the 3rd to mighty Albany, maybe this is the year ... naw, what was I thinking ...

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
And there you have it ... UCLA put a hurting on UK ... good job UCLA.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Tough to win at Kentucky. UCLA got over the turnovers in the first half and played pretty well before almost giving away the game in the last 2 minutes.

Lonzo Ball says he will stay another year to play with his brother next year. Hope that is true. Hopefully TJ stays as well.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Bruce, you're such a Homer.....Lol

MSU 34 Oral Roberts 33 at the half.....:facepalm:

They do have a couple key players hurt....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, you're such a Homer.....Lol.
If I was being a homer I will be saying much more like the Big10+4 fans on here on the football page. UCLA beat Kentucky last year and then proceeded to have a miserable year. I just want them to play at a consistent level

I am a believer that the more you talk about your team, the more you jinx them.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If I was being a homer I will be saying much more like the Big10+4 fans on here on the football page. UCLA beat Kentucky last year and then proceeded to have a miserable year. I just want them to play at a consistent level

I am a believer that the more you talk about your team, the more you jinx them.

Season is young.......;):lol:

MSU barely hung on 80 - 76

Big man Miles Bridges could be out for a few more games......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We have Michigan next weekend at home. Hopefully, a full house. UCLA has had a tough time filling up their stadium lately.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
How are they predicted to do this season, Bruce?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How are they predicted to do this season, Bruce?
Before season started, 3rd in PAC12 behind Arizona and Oregon. Arizona has some injuries so they are down right now but I expect them to be very strong.

Arizona is down to Gonzaga as we speak.

aspeck

Staff member
PSU won today ... if Wright State counts ... LOL

iboats_tim

User
It's been a good while since I've actually been excited about UCLA hoops but I'm just about all-in on this team--awfully impressive that they had an average game and still took down UK at Rupp. The Michigan game on Saturday should be another nice test against a well coached team. UCLA has always struggled against John Beilein's 1-3-1 zone that he has run at West Virginia and Michigan but then again we haven't had shooters like this in a long time...I definitely wasn't expecting this team to be ranked #2 in the country at any point this year let alone this early!

aspeck

Staff member
UCLA's shooting of 3's made it hard on UK! They had hands in the shooters faces and UCLA was still making the shots. What did they hit, something like 60% of their 3's? UK is a young team with a lot of growth to go and will should be tough at the end of the year, but UCLA, if they continue on like they played on Saturday will be hard to stop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
...I definitely wasn't expecting this team to be ranked #2 in the country at any point this year let alone this early!
Way to early...Let's start crowning them when they win the PAC12 regular season and the PAC12 tournament.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
UCLA's shooting of 3's made it hard on UK! They had hands in the shooters faces and UCLA was still making the shots. What did they hit, something like 60% of their 3's?.
They shot 43% which is below their average of 45%. In my opinion, they shoot too may 3s but that is probably because they play 3 guards.

aspeck

Staff member
UK pulled out a win they almost gave away down the stretch with a nice 103-100 win over North Carolina yesterday. PSU has a big 9:47 at the end of the 1st half, outscoring St John's 35-5 over that period for the 92-76 win.