Roof issues, need opinions and ideas

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Starting this up again, new details.

Well, right after looking into this earlier this year we had a record amount rain for a few months and the river started changing course, lost 100+ feet yard and it's continuing to erode. I put a stop to the idea of a new roof because the house may get red tagged in the next year or so, maybe sooner if the bank continues to sluff away at the same rate. (Long story on the cause, but that's for another thread)

I've done a few small repairs to stop it from leaking, but we keep getting wind storms and the roof is old enough now (plus the shallow angle on one side) that it doesn't take much to begin leaking again, and I got tired of the blue tarp look and buckets in the house.

I'm looking for some ideas or opinions on a low cost way to get a few more years out of it. The problem is with the bank erosion nobody in their right mind is going to buy the place, so resale isn’t an issue. And if they red tag the house then I get paid off on the flood insurance, so any money I put into the place may be at a total loss.
  1. Just put a quick roof over what’s there (one side), with the shallow angle it may not work well though.
  2. Tare off and put new down on the side that leaks, still cheap stuff.
  3. Do a better job on the new roof and hope the house doesn’t get red tagged in the next year. There’s some wood that should be replaced, but I don’t think I’ll ever see the benefit of replacing it.
  4. Buy more blue tarps, or actually a better grade and just replace as needed. Not really the look I want, but….
The side that leaks has nothing tricky, I already removed the wood stove chimney, and will remove the plumbing vents from that side too. There was some remodeling done by the prior owner and me, so there are couple that aren’t used anymore on that side, and the one that is used can be move a few feet to the other side with the steeper angle. It’s just a flat large surface at a shallow angle. The one side is about 50’X40’

Here’s a link to the old thread. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other/non-boating-technical-topics/10099518-new-roof-shock

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What type roof is on there now ? If shingles I would just do patches where it's leaking .. Flat roof ? Use roll roofing as a cheap fix .. Then wait and see what happens to your property ... It's an absolute shame about loosing all of you land ... That just stinks !!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Anything less than say a3/12 pitch should not has regular tab shingles . Under 3/12 should be roll roofing or rock ... Maybe try some type of coating like cool seal as a quick fix

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Right at it should be fine for shingles .. Sounds like just more patching or replacing ... But some type of coating might be easier ... Is there a supplier near you that sells seconds ? Might be discolored but would keep the water out ...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could always try this
flexseal-liquid-sealer.jpg

http://www.flexsealproducts.com/

or one of the patch products that may work.
http://www.gardner-gibson.com/produ...ir-new-construction/asphalt-roof-patch-repair

For a short term fix, I would probably strip off what you have, roll on some new felt and throw on a few squares of new shingles

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Rolled roofing over the top of old. Relatively cheap and very easy install given the parameters of what you described. I'm curious as to the bank erosion issue? Apologies for not reading the other thread...

How much beach front? Is it bay, ocean, river or lake frontage? My uncle in South Dakota has a weekend cabin on a lake (who doesn't in that neck of the woods?) he used his bobcat and very large (2,000lb) boulders to build a wall to stave off erosion...that was 20 years ago...and it still holding. He wasn't limited by and HOA, nor riperian/litoral rights and/or local laws, so he was able to modify accordingly. Any chance of staving off erosion with large boulders?

Sorry to steer this off course!

aspeck

Staff member
I would consider a rubberized paint over the shingles, rolled roofing over the shingles, or furring strips and tin over the shingles ... all easy and fairly inexpensive ... depends on the look and length of time you need/want this to last.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would go with cheap shingles. There is always some place selling cheap shingles. And with that little pitched roof, I could even roof it. I have before. Not a tough job, just time consuming. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Rolled roofing over the top of old. Relatively cheap and very easy install given the parameters of what you described. I'm curious as to the bank erosion issue? Apologies for not reading the other thread...

How much beach front? Is it bay, ocean, river or lake frontage? My uncle in South Dakota has a weekend cabin on a lake (who doesn't in that neck of the woods?) he used his bobcat and very large (2,000lb) boulders to build a wall to stave off erosion...that was 20 years ago...and it still holding. He wasn't limited by and HOA, nor riperian/litoral rights and/or local laws, so he was able to modify accordingly. Any chance of staving off erosion with large boulders?

Sorry to steer this off course!

Here's a link to the property

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy8uvk25qJ8

There's a thread here about it, but I couldn't link it from my phone.

We lost another 20-30' since the video, and still going.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, without tons upon tons of large rock, I don't see how you could stop that type erosion. And even being in the bend of the flow is even more bad news. :sorry:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hate to hear erosion has gotten worse and is continuing. Good luck w all of that and keeping your blood pressure down.

On the roof, I'd patch what you have to, to get a good base and buy low cost ahingles or 2nds if you can find them. Then overlay the old w the new. New felt as suggested above if you wish. IMO, cheap added barrier, that'll give you a good surface to layout, snap lines and lay new shingles. Even if your current roof is architecturals, get 3tabs, since you expect the river to claim all your land.

50X40 is 10Square or 30bundles of shingles plus 2 or 3. Thats not a small amount to DIY this time of year, even if you've done it quite a bit before. But do-able.

Rolled roofing would probably be cheaper and easier to DIY quicker. But goes back to how long you think you'll hang tough against the advancing river.

Good luck.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
As soon as I get back in town I'll see what I can find at a discount and compare costs. I've been traveling a great deal for work and don't have much time at home, so trying to find a gap in the weather to rip off the old roofing and put down the new stuff will be difficult, so I may just go right over this layer.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Everywhere I've lived and worked where asphalt shingles are permitted (3 of 5 states), 2 layers of roofing have been permitted, so shingling over the existing saves a hard day (or 2) of tear off, esp w sketchy weather.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Dude, that is a much larger issue than I anticipated! I'm not sure of all the legal workings, but the USACE has rendered your property un-sellable and has taken away some (if not all) of your value. My best (and probably only) advice is to contact an attorney and see if there is any recourse?

As far as the roof goes, I'm in agreement on cheapest and best fix for the time being? As a side note, have you tried to make a claim with your insurance co for damage from wind/hail/force majeure? In Colorado I've had mine replaced 2 times in (10 years) from hail...

bigdee

Commander
In your situation the least expensive and most effective would be roll roofing. You could always cover over it with shingles later on if things work out. Good luck.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You could probably shrink wrap it for 300. You can buy some extremely wide rolls of wrap. That may be cheaper than blue tarps or traditional roofing materials. They make it in clear and white. It gets tight so no blowing or flapping like with tarps. I bet you could get two+ years out of it. Enough to find out if you will have a house.

Truly feel for you and the situation your in. I don't know that I'd have the mental stamina to deal with something like that.