daily music fix

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What a loss to the world of music, may god bless you Tom Petty.

You wreck me... one of my favorites.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have to say I'm having a tough time with this ..
As I get older it seems like I get more emotional about things in life ..

southkogs

Staff member
One of our local DJs spent an hour taking calls where people were able to associate a Tom Petty tune with a moment in their lives. He was illustrating that for many of our generation Tom Petty was the soundtrack for our life. It was a fun hour to listen to.

sam60

Captain
OK, using Southkogs tutorial, I'm going to try re-remember how to do this.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Been listening to Donnie Iris alot lately. Not sure how many here have heard him but he is a local legend. Pretty big in the early 80's. Had a few songs on the Billboard charts and was in the band that played 'Play that funky music' (but after that song). His keyboardist co-wrote that song from what I hear. He grew up about 2 miles from where I live (about 5 miles from where I grew up). My dad used to live next door to him and I used to work with his cousin. Anyway, my aunt was good friends with him in the early 80's and she got me a picture of him and the band that he signed for me but not sure where it went. Around 1982ish he was on stage at and was wearing a pair of my aunts pants and split the crotch out of them on stage...lol. I went and saw him around 2007 in Pittsburgh and at the time he was a mortgage broker and my mother was in real estate and talked to him all the time so she got me backstage passes. Sat with him and Joe Greschecky (sp?). Joe is a hardcore rocker and has played with Bruce Springsteen but he is also a special ed teacher at a local school district. Went and saw Donnie again July 29th in Pittsburgh and can't believe the way he rocks at 74! amazing. And a very nice guy. see him around once in awhile. he lives a few miles from our marina.

Not sure if this is how you post these but listen to him cranking at about the e3/4 mark of this video.

EDIT: forgot to add that Donnie was also the singer for The Jaggerz in the late 60's early 70's and he wrote and sang 'The Rapper'. he still sings that one at shows. it reached #2 on the billboard charts in 1970.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hard to believe it's been 40 years since the crash .. "Tell me people , what good is that ..."
[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lynyrd+skynyrd+youtube+Am+I+losing&&view=detail&mid=9248C609DE59231A4C5D9248C609DE59231A4C5D&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]

sam60

Captain
Hard to believe it's been 40 years since the crash .. "Tell me people , what good is that ..."
[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lynyrd+skynyrd+youtube+Am+I+losing&&view=detail&mid=9248C609DE59231A4C5D9248C609DE59231A4C5D&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]

It is hard to believe. That was bad news. It's been along time...I'm glad I got to see them before that but it is a bit cold and selfish on my part. The music lives on.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry guys just a walk down memory lane with a small tribute ..[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lynyrd+Skynyrd+Trust&&view=detail&mid=F99AEA8F80DD9B3F3ED2F99AEA8F80DD9B3F3ED2&&FORM=VDRVRV[/video]

sam60

Captain
Don't stop Sam. I'm amazed at the sound quality of a laptop with good speakers. Workin' for MCA.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The intro on "I Need You " and really the whole song is probably my favorite LS tune !
Yeh and MCA just rocks !!