Nascar Chase Race #6 - At Talladega, Hellmann's 500

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hold the pickles. hold the lettuce, but don't hold the mayo!

This cut race at Dega will eliminate the 4 lowest seeds, currently Dillon, Hamlin, Keso and Elliott. One of them probably needs to win to move on to the next round. Johnson and Harvick have the only locked places into the Round Of 8.

Along with the Cup race, Trucks also have a Chase race, which also a cut race race. Only one Truck Chaser has won in the 2 races so far in first round, Byron. So 7 other drivers will be trying to survive to advance. The weekend schedule from MRN is below.

X-Men will return at Texas for the middle race of their Round Of 8.

degafall.PNG

Weather shouldn't be a factor. Crossed fingers!

News and Notes
  • 8 teams failed in pre-qualifying and pre-race laser or template inspections. Truex flunked Template and laser twice each.
  • Cheez-It/Kelloggs is leaving Roush Fenway and dropping Watkins Glen race sponsorship. Word has it that they have been shopping for another team.
  • The above leads to Tommy Baldwin Racing selling it's charter and announcing that it may not return next year.
  • Which leads to the new Cup Title sponsor after Sprint leaves in November. There isn't one! And the cost of sponsoring seems to dropping from the heady fee paid by Nextel of $750M or $75M/year for 10 years. After Sprint bought Nextel the fee was renegotiated down to $50M/year. Nascar started at $1B for a 10 year deal to replace Sprint. I think potential sponsors are looking at the growing lack of interest in Nascar.
  • And TV ratings - The lowest Sprint Cup race since 2004 on broadcast TV.
  • Buschwhackers News - Nascar says they are looking at limits on Cup drivers running in X-Men and Trucks. I'm willing to bet it will be something stupid like none in the lower tier Chase races instead of all races. A partial quote from Nascar's Steve O'Donnell - " "It certainly is on our radar," O'Donnell said. "We've heard the fans. It's interesting, it's been a balance throughout the years. We've always had Sprint Cup drivers come into the Xfinity Series and sometimes dominate, back in the Mark Martin days." Sometimes dominate? :facepalm: How about since 2011, Whackers have won 138 of 196 X-Races - That's only 70.4%. so not total domination but darn close.

iBOATS Fantasy Live
Boatman picked up his first win of the year. So he gets the hardware for his efforts. Congrats on :first:, Boat!

TcS is added to the overall lead over 64osby. Around a hundred points worth.​

Get your picks in before the race. TcS can still be caught.

Humpty

humpy.PNG

64osby

Admiral
No mayo for me please. I do need a double helping of Miracle Whip though.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If nobody steps up to replace Sprint, ba bye NASCAR........

Miracle Whip is the best!

GA_Boater

Maybe if title sponsor dollars are cut back, the schedule can be made more realistic. 36 races from February to November is insane.

Homestead is 4 days before Thanksgiving - Stupid!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
They're almost as bad as the NHL and NBA.....

And no, I'm not putting on a jacket.........Lol Inside joke......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They are having less viewers because they are having more races, all of us like to watch racing, but come on, I start out the season with snow on the ground and will finish the season with snow on the ground, they need to cut it back by about 10 races. I would love to see a couple more road tracks and a few less mile and half tracks, they need to mix things up a bit if they want viewers to come back and I would like to see them get away from cookie cutter racing, let the guys build their engines and give them some flexibility so some of the lesser known guys can show up, qualify and race.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i agree with too many races. each track gets only 1 race per season. add 1 or 2 more road courses. no road course or plate track in the chase, too much of a wildcard. cut the tire size down for a smaller contact patch. they are trying to get speeds down and keep messing with downforce and engines. just give them a smaller contact patch. tires should be cheaper and speeds will slow.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Heck, the plate races and now the road courses are about the only interesting races to watch. I like wild cards. Maybe they need another plate race like MI. 1 1/2s are boring, even some of the short tracks.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i like the plates and love the road courses. just not sure either should be in the chase. my favorites are by far the road courses, then pocono, then the plate tracks. after that i'd say the oddballs like Phoenix, Richmond, Martinsville, and about anything else not cookie cutter....lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would like to see at least one road course during the chase, We are looking for a champion and champions should be good no matter where they race. I like the super speedways, I am not really into the short track racing. I would like to see them set down the rules and then let the teams do their thing, instead buying engines from all the same companies prepped the same way.

Course you really want to have a retro race, put some superbirds, glaxies and buicks back out there with hemi's SOHC and let them go, now there would be a retro race!

:eek:

:D

GA_Boater

Let them drive real stock cars with only safety equipment. After all, Nascar stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing!

With the SS disappearing soon and other than Vettes and Camaros, does Chevy have any rear wheel drive cars? Ford and Toyota don't have any rear drivers that fit the Nascar mold. MMM, that leaves Dodge Chargers and Cadillac with a couple of rear drivers and maybe the Hyundai Genesis. Mercedes and BMW have a few. too. Too bad Olds, Plymouth, Hudson and Mercury are gone, they used to have some contenders.

If you want to race rear wheel drive cars, build and sell them! Yeah, I'm a purist. :D

The truck race is messing up plenty of trucks and not even the Big One.................Yet. Nemechek will drop out of the Truck Chase for sure.

GA_Boater

Enfinger wins the Truck cut race. Nemechek and Hemric miss the cut.

Cup qualifying is coming up.

GA_Boater

Truex had his jack screws confiscated prior to qualifying. Crew chief explains via Twitter;

A 5.5" LF jackscrew was replaced for a 8" that was mistakenly recessed to where a 5.5" is. Common sense/CG doesn't matter at a superspeedway

Oooops!

Truex must like his new set of jack screws, he has the pole. Following are Keso*, Kenseth, Elliott*, Biffle, Stenhouse, Busch41, Hamlin*, Dillon*, Menard, Bayne and Sorenson.

* Chasers currently in the 4 Chase elimination spots.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Don't forget Challengers.... O'yeah and Mmmmmmustangs.....

boatman37

Lieutenant
laugh if you want but i used to like the IROC races. i wouldn't mind seeing a series like that again but have all stock car drivers run it. i would imagine open wheel guys were at a disadvantage in those cars due to lack of experience in those style cars.

i really like the late 70's early 80's races when they still had real cars but understand the safety aspect of it.

anyone ever seen the spec miata series? i think its SCCM. my son drove one right after he turned 15. those were cool cars. also drove a star mazda pro formula car that day. very cool. i almost bought him a spec miata to race when he turned 16 but he started losing interest in racing at that point.

but i do like any series that has a 'real' car