Dogs love boating!!

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Thought I would post some pics of this past Sunday. Temps got to the upper 70's so we decided to take a run on the Potomac river. We also took Maggie Mae, my 8 year old Australian Shepherd. She only fell in once this trip, lol. Nothing like the smell of a wet dog!!
I invite you to post pics of your boating pals here.....

Attachments

• photo254100.JPG
    photo254100.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254101.JPG
    photo254101.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254102.JPG
    photo254102.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
My retrievers both go NUTS when they get to go ... the hound needs medical attention at the thought of going on the boat :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My dog wants nothing to do with boats. I move towards boat, dog goes the other way.

Fire it up, she's nowhere to be found.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
we have a toy poodle that loves to Kayak. she rides on the deck until she wants to swim, jumps in the lake for a few minutes, than of course has to get "in" the kayak to warm up.

we have a bulldog as well who wants to go but freaks out when things start to move. if I get a bigger boat I will try her on that but small sailboats and kayaks are not her thing. hard finding a life jacket for her, she is short and wide and heavy. LOL

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Where on the Potomac were the pictures taken?

We typically boat at Dam 5, which is called Big Pool, between River Bend and McCoys Ferry. We also go to Dam 4, Big Slackwater, which is a longer run until it gets shallow. Both are part of the C&O canal system. The pictures were taken at dam 5 near River Bend WV.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I have a lab who goes everywhere with me. He was born for the water and loves riding in the boat. He's a trained waterfowl hunting dog so he's been riding in boats since he was a puppy.
A word of warning - when the boat is under power he should be inside the boat in a secure position. Riding on the back part of the boat like in your pictures made me cringe, is just plain dangerous. Good way for your dog to get injured or killed. You say he only fell off once, he shouldn't fall overboard at all. In over 30 years of boating and hunter from boats with dogs ive never had a dog fall out of the boat. Another thing never let him ride in the bow of the boat while under power. If they fall in they are either dead or will be missing a leg or two. Treat dogs in your boat like they are your 2 year old child. You need to keep them close, secure, safe and under control. Holding her leash is good but won't prevent her from going overboard while riding in an unsafe position.

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

A word of warning - when the boat is under power he should be inside the boat in a secure position. Riding on the back part of the boat like in your pictures made me cringe, is just plain dangerous. Good way for your dog to get injured or killed. You say he only fell off once, he shouldn't fall overboard at all. In over 30 years of boating and hunter from boats with dogs ive never had a dog fall out of the boat. Another thing never let him ride in the bow of the boat while under power. If they fall in they are either dead or will be missing a leg or two. Treat dogs in your boat like they are your 2 year old child. You need to keep them close, secure, safe and under control. Holding her leash is good but won't prevent her from going overboard while riding in an unsafe position.

I appreciate your post. So I should clarify. Obviously I have a ski boat with a swim platform. Maggie went off the back while anchored, not under power, while playing. No different than friends dogs jumping off their swim platforms. I agree that the dog shouldn't be on the sun deck while under way. It was calm with no other boats around, so a good photo op. I'm sorry you cringed at this post, it was meant to make you smile, and think of our dogs as loving members of our families that we respect enough to take with us when we boat. Rest assured, my dog is not skittish, and was never in any danger of falling while under way. Her collar was tight, and leash secured at all times while under way.

Maggie and Dash thank you for your concern!!

Attachments

• photo254228.jpg
    photo254228.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 0

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for clarifying. I'm a dog guy, love my dogs like children. I was just concerned. You sound like a good, caring doggie daddy.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We typically boat at Dam 5, which is called Big Pool, between River Bend and McCoys Ferry. We also go to Dam 4, Big Slackwater, which is a longer run until it gets shallow. Both are part of the C&O canal system. The pictures were taken at dam 5 near River Bend WV.

I've canoed the Potomac in three sections from Luke, MD to Dargan's Landing. Big Slackwater is named well! Especially in early August.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I've canoed the Potomac in three sections from Luke, MD to Dargan's Landing. Big Slackwater is named well! Especially in early August.

Yeah, I don't see many people canoe that given the slack area is over 11 miles long.....I much prefer to have a motorized paddle, lol.