Hurricane Matthew - stay safe, East Coast iboaters!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
As have many of us, I've been watching the tracking predictions for Hurricane Matthew. I have family in West Palm Beach, so I've been particularly interested. It looks like this storm is going to play havoc with much of the East coast. I hope those in storm's path have either fled or are have hunkered down in a safe place. The rest of us will be sending good thoughts your way!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes guys and gals in the path stay safe .If you've been told to skidaddle don't be a hero and stay ,nothing is as important as your life which cannot be replaced.Everything else can be.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , looks like the whole east coast will be affected to some existent..
I have not been ordered to evacuate yet but our beaches have . I live on an island surrounded by salt marsh . Only really a few miles from the mouth of several inlets .
Storm surge is what has me concerned ..
Stay safe everyone !

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Keeping a weather eye out here. No watches or warnings in effect for our area so far. If the storm hits the east coast, we're predicted to get winds of about 50mph which is not much different from a strong thunderstorm.

Definitely paying close attention though!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No Title

Some meteorologist friends of mine were even talking about Matthew doing a loop-de-loop... it looks like it might get pushed east into the Atlantic, while still hurricane-strength, allowing it to circle back and hit the coast a second time. Not a common occurrence, I guess, but this is an odd predicted path:

Attachments

• photo253466.jpg
    photo253466.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0

aspeck

Staff member
Those of you in FL, especially the east coast, take care. (snapperbait oddjob sasto to remind a couple that haven't been around in a while.) And those of you on the west side, be careful, just in case ...

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ondarvr is trying to get out of Tampa. IBEX closed early to allow people to fly out to get back home prior to everything shutting down.

working from home tomorrow as the skyway will be closed, however those on the east side of the state will be hit hard.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm the the last one from our company still in FL, the others left already. I'm sitting around waiting for the crate to show up so I can pack the booth up and get out of town. Flights and hotel rooms are tough to come by on the west side of the state right now.

My issues are minor compared to what's going on the east coast.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Went out a few minutes ago and battened down everything I could. Made extra sure that the Kingfisher tarp was fully secured. Got up in the Chieftain and moved the unfastened splash well up under the cuddy area where it will be out of the wind.

Also made sure that there was nothing in the yard that can blow around. Also found and made ready our extra water storage containers. There is only a low chance of a power outage here but need to be ready just in case. Will stay up late tonight watching the storm's progress and will fill the containers if needed. Will also fill both bath tubs if it comes to that.

Our stovetop/oven is propane powered so we can cook with or without power. Learned that lesson in 2004 after going through 3 hurricanes that year and when I bought this house I made sure to cook with gas!

The 5pm storm track update shows that the hurricane moved a little more eastward. Good news there.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
I live just a few miles west of Wildwood Fl. and I am in the Tropical Storm Warning area...just a little outside of the Hurricane Warning area...what I can tell from the latest forecast is somewhere between 3-5 inches of rain and up to 8-12 inches. Winds are supposed to be 25-50 miles per hour with gusts up to 75...I have extra gas for the generator...extra bottle of Jim B...plenty of food...time to party :party:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Storm coming past J-ville some where around mid afternoon tomorrow .. They say at a CAT 3 ... High tide at 2;00 pm tomorrow ... Been raining here for 3 days with a Nor'easter so tides are already above normal .. I think we are gunna stay put and ride it out .. If you listen to the news over half of the city should be evacuated .. :confused:
Storm surge does have me a bit concerned where I live ..

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5190605,-81.4673485,6487m/data=!3m1!1e3

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Storm coming past J-ville some where around mid afternoon tomorrow .. They say at a CAT 3 ... High tide at 2;00 pm tomorrow ... Been raining here for 3 days with a Nor'easter so tides are already above normal .. I think we are gunna stay put and ride it out .. If you listen to the news over half of the city should be evacuated .. :confused:
Storm surge does have me a bit concerned where I live ..

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5190605,-81.4673485,6487m/data=!3m1!1e3
Leave.

Seriously.

Leave.

And live!

southkogs

Staff member
Y'all be safe ... we'll be praying for all of ya' along the coast.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
sphelps...if you have never been in a Cat 3/4 storm or seen the aftermath of one...then listen to BWR1953 and myself and "leave" while you can. I have been lucky so far and skirted 3 storms but I saw the aftermath first hand...nothing is worth staying for...good luck to you what ever you decide.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Lessee.... there's a Cat 4 storm with a surge 20' tall, 20 miles wide which will reach 10 miles inland moving at 15mph being pushed by 130-140MPH winds. What could possibly go wrong? :noidea: :blue:

Oh, right.

THIS:
damage.jpg

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
glad to hear that. haven't heard too much about injuries or deaths at least in the U.S. so that is a good thing