1972 Glastron Boat Project

MarioTwins

Seaman
Hey
My name is Dave and i just recently bought a boat, my first
it is a little bit of a project, so thought id find somewhere that had some useful information. plus a group i can ask questions to, as i know i will have many.

anyways here is the boat
last owner said it was a 1972 (i think its a little older) glastron v 164
engine block has 1968 on it it is a B18 (more questons on this but that will be later

it has a volvo 280 leg on it seems masive for this boat ?

and here is a pic i have of her, will try and get more

will lurk the forums a little more and get it figured out before posting my questions, but thought id start with an intro

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iBOATS, Dave.

If she's a 1972 there will Hull ID Number (HIN) on the upper starboard stern. What does the paperwork say?

MarioTwins

Seaman
Will have to look.
Noticed a error on my original post not sure there is an edit option ? B18 motor

As for paperwork guy I got it from had none. I do have contact info for guy before him that maybe I'll be able to get paperwork from

Thanks
Dave

jbcurt00

Staff member
Will have to look.
Noticed a error on my original post not sure there is an edit option ? B18 motor

As for paperwork guy I got it from had none. I do have contact info for guy before him that maybe I'll be able to get paperwork from

Thanks
Dave

There is a 1 hr edit window. I changed it to B18

Delending on where you are, title and registration may be a challenge if the seller didnt have them before selling it to you.

Contact whoever handles boats and trailers in your state before doing any work on the boat. In WV, its the DMV, other states its the DNR. It may be nearly impossible to do, and why the seller didnt have any paperwork. Ohio is tough in the midwest as is many (most, all?) of the gulf states.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes make absolute sure you have legal, provable ownership of the boat, trailer and engine before even cleaning it out. Otherwise you could be working on somebody else's boat for them. And you wouldn't be the first either. JMHO

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Get the paperwork straightened out before doing anything, Dave. As said in previous replies, some states are hard to deal with - Even with good papers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In Volvo cars, the B18 was used until 1968. After that the B20 was used.

MarioTwins

Seaman
Little more info about myself and the boat

If you haven't guessed. It does not run
I've been told I may only need hull ID and bill of sale to register
Trailer I can do through ICBC
And I will be contacting last regestered owner

I live in British Columbia Canada

Thanks

Dave

jbcurt00

Staff member
If its pre-1972 it probably doesnt have a HIN on the top right (starboard) corner of the exterior transom.

Might have a number there, but its not really a HIN. Might have been used as one, but HINs werent standardized and required until after 1972.

I have more then 1 boat that has a serial # stamped there, and all are pre 1972. Half were titled using that # as a HIN. The other half were issued new HINs by the state, and start w WV. They were all titled by me in WV.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I live in Canada also.Its our national sport to not have boats reg to the proper owner.Ours is federal not provincial .Boats and motors normally do not have titles in Canada unlike the States.Its a totally different world up here and the laws and regs for .US.A. do not apply up here nor do we even both to follow or own rulesAS evidenced by a study that found that over 65 percent of all boats in Canada were not reg to their current owner.I believe the penality for non compliance is a scolding and an extraction of a promise to think about getting it done right.This applies particularly to 20 foot and under.

82rude

Rear Admiral
You can check out the transport Canada site and look up licensing of pleasure craft.On a much older boat it can be a pain as we don't have titles like the states do.Thats most likely why its widely ignored.I would recommend you talk to your friends and others in your area.By the way welcome to iboats and ive been very close to your town and its a beautiful area.When I bought my only new boat years ago I got a simple bill of sale that's it .

Last edited:

MarioTwins

Seaman
Thanks for all the reply's

I got in touch with the last registered owners and I meet with them today.
they signed the trailer over and it is now registered and insured in my name
they also provided me with a bill of sale
so should be good to go now. Ive been told by a few people now that hull ID number and a bill of sale is all that is needed
i figured it would be best to get one from the last registered owner to raise no issues later

i also found out that it was ran last about 3 years ago and that it had no issues then. needed minor tune up stuff and valves adjusted
its also had the leg replaced before so maybe not original as i haven't found one online with a 280 leg on it ?

Thanks

Dave

82rude

Rear Admiral
Hopefully the last owner licensed the boat.REG is a misnomer .Large craft are reg small pleasure craft are licensed in Canada.I got a bill of sale for mine also from the last owner but there were a half dozen before him and nobody relicensed the thing .Best of luck .

MarioTwins

Seaman
Yea hard to say with what your saying now. Guess you could say I'm good to go as of now done what I can and trailer is done
I punched in the hull id in transport Canada website. And there were no results.
So maybe I'll be ok with the bill of sale I have
Or. Just not bother for the time being

Thanks again guys

Dave

MarioTwins

Seaman
Afternoon
its been really raining here the last few weeks, i had the boat tarped, but it was only done quick and a little water wass till getting in, so i redid it today as it was nice out. i have a carport but my father in laws vette is in there for the time being

while it was off i couldn't resist doing a little tinkering
will start a thread in the appropriate section for my motor questions

i took the stairs off the back though, will be patching the holes and the top mounts ripped through the fiberglass anyways so will be fixed aswel

now i have room for a kicker bracket
i finally have a use for this motor ive hoarded away in the shed for the last 5 years

its a extra long shaft (hopefully not an issue) and has charging system on it
it was given to me, but was told it ran, its in real good shape.

other questions http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es/10290052-1972-glastron-volvo-b18-questions

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

MarioTwins

Seaman
Well i finally got a tank and hose today
scored this off craigslist 45 bucks tank and hose are brand new

not sure if the video will work but will give it a shot.
this is when it first started, not bad for sitting for 5 or so years

once it was ran for a bit it would idle good and everything, pretty pleased with this
its alot less smokey now too, i had poured some oil into the cylinders a bit ago probably burning it off

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...Boat/33614FB9-A0C4-428B-AEBC-7A5EE4C29FAC.mp4

i threw the volt meter on the 2 wires just to see and it charges and everything.

wasnt sure if it was going to pump water or not but it did.

very pleased with this today :)

Thanks

Dave

MarioTwins

Seaman
Got her moved today :)
Hopefully start plugging away on it soon

Took a couple shots of the rig while it was hooked up too

I will takle the frost plug problem once I know it runs. Either try reinstalling the one that fell out. Or a universal one

Thanks

MarioTwins

Seaman
Worked on the boat about today.
Repacked the wheel bearings on trailer. One side needs to be replaced soon. But it's good enough for now as it's not going anywhere lol

I also disconnected every electrical connection on the motor/alternator ect

And wired it like this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5yRXiEIwg

And guess what I HAD SPARK :)
So I put the new plugs in poured a little gas in the carbs and it was trying to fire. Would backfire out the carbs here and there too. Then battery went flat
So it's in charge. I might have a chance to try again tomorrow. But we'll see

When I got the boat none of the plug wires were on so I hope I did it right. Used this page
http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/1hkc...18-engine.html

That's today's update anyways.
And just cause this song came on the radio 3-4 times while working. My current favourite
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCxbgqyC2Wg

Hopefully I'll have more updates soon :) fingers crossed

Then I'll have to look at rewiring it all. But would be nice to see it start and motivating

Thanks

Dave