Jose Fernandez

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Tragic loss of life, 3 persons dead after hitting a jetty at high speed off the Miami coast. Latest report had that 32 foot boat going 60+ mph in the dark. Wham!! game over.. There are certain things one should not do in a boat.. that was one of them.... Common sense is not very common.. Reckless foolishness. Is there a lesson to be learned here beyond the obvious?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no idea how many folks have even been in a boat traveling 60 plus miles per hour. That is very fast even in daylight. I know I had a boat that could do that. But why would anybody even try such a totally stupid trick in the dark. Make ZERO sense. Some times you get away with stupid tricks, some times you don't. The odds caught up with them this time.

aspeck

Staff member
Such a shame ... such a talent. I will wait for the final report on the accident, but high speed in the dark is a recipe for disaster. Prayers for the family and friends of all three victims.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
USA Today report

"Jose Fernandez was upset following an argument with his girlfriend and summoned two friends for the late-night boating expedition that ended in the death of the 24-year-old Miami Marlins pitcher and his companions, according to reports that detailed the final evening of his life.

Eddy Rivero and Emilio Macias were killed along with Fernandez when a 32-foot fishing boat – which authorities said Monday was owned by Fernandez – crashed into a jetty sometime before 3 a.m. Sunday morning as it traveled southbound back toward Miami Beach.
Fernandez's friends joined him only after Marlins teammates turned down his offer to go on the late-night trip on the water.
"That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out,’” outfielder Marcell Ozuna told the Miami Herald. “Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water. I told him I couldn’t go out that night because I had the kids and my wife waiting for me.
“He told me if I didn’t hear from him by 10 a.m. (Sunday) to call him and wake him up so he could get back to the ballpark on time for the game. I told him, ‘yeah no problem, I’ll call you.’ I woke up Sunday and that’s when I found out. I cried and cried."
Will Bernal, a close friend of Rivero’s, exchanged text messages with Rivero after midnight urging him not to go on the boat and posted the exchange on his Instagram account Monday."

Likely that Fernandez was the operator......a reckless, foolish act.. results in this.....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Likely that Fernandez was the operator......a reckless, foolish act.. results in this.....

With few if any facts available, a statement like this adds nothing to the mix. :rolleyes:
You have no idea who was at the wheel....you do not know the circumstances....could even have been a mechanical issue.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
With few if any facts available, a statement like this adds nothing to the mix. :rolleyes:
You have no idea who was at the wheel....you do not know the circumstances....could even have been a mechanical issue.

who was operating is irrelevant.. just a likelihood.. mechanical issue? NOT likely...

kenk63

Cadet
my 2 cents, whom ever was piloting the boat, may have been using GPS, or a course piloting software, and it didnt show the rocks. this accident didnt happen in broad daylight

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
my 2 cents, whom ever was piloting the boat, may have been using GPS, or a course piloting software, and it didnt show the rocks. this accident didnt happen in broad daylight

agree completely with your assessment, most GPS software systems wont show man made Jetty's. the speed estimated at 60+, a 32 foot boat going that fast?? thats hauling ass. pitch dark looking at a LCD screen.. goes to the reckless behavior of the operator.. I would have been creeping home.......

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Here's another story. Supposedly it wasn't his boat. Not sure how they knew he wasn't behind the helm.... I guess it really doesn't matter. 3 guys passed away....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/25/us/mlb...ernandez-dead/
who was operating is irrelevant.. just a likelihood.. mechanical issue? NOT likely...

It has been reported that it WAS his boat....that it WASN'T his boat; that he was driving....that he wasn't his driving; that the speed was in excess of 60 MPH....that it was just a slow cruising speed....
My point was that media, who with all due respect, have much better sources than you, are all over the page. For you to be posting stuff as significant, but using the lead-in descriptor "likely" is scurrilous.
You have as little idea as the rest of us, your use of the terms "likely" and "not likely" are simply your subjective opinions. but hey, this is an internet forum...write anything.

There are a number of mechanical failures that could put a watercraft out of control at high speed. At night, in tight quarters, regaining control might have been beyond the abilities of the operators.
Simply taking the holier-than-thou position that it was a reckless and irresponsible action with NO BASIS is just as reckless and irresponsible as what you are trying to attribute to others.

WIMUSKY added the only really significant contribution " it really doesn't matter, three guys passed away...." Amen!
This is simply a tragic accident (unless proven otherwise) that caused the loss of three lives. That's it.

aspeck

Staff member
I might add to Tim's comments that AFTER the reports by authorities are complete and we can assign blame, etc, it is STILL a tragic accident where 3 people perished. Hopefully, if there are things that can be learned from this, we will all heed the lessons and learn the valuable lessons. But even in that, it will not replace the fact that 3 lives were lost. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families and friends involved.