Davey Jones' locker

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
So, what's in there? I know that I added one thing last evening. Makes me curious what items the rest of us have added to it, and what are the tales that go along with each sacrifice. Mine is below, I hope to see some others...

Cell phone.
After a nice sunset cruise with the admiral, and with LeaLin resting comfortably in her slip, I wanted a couple photos of 'er trim pump that needs some work. With the Admiral waiting, I hastily disembarked, phone in hand, and promptly knocked into a bimini top from, and down she went (the phone that is). The water is only 3 or 4 feet deep there, so I attempted to retrieve it, even considered going in after it. In the waning light, I quickly grabbed a spot light, and could see it on the bottom - so close, and yet...After a few unsuccessful attempts at grabbing it, chopsticks-style, with a couple poles, it became covered with sediment and the water too stirred up to see it anymore. At first a bit upset, I am now reliving the good-old days before these blasted devices became so ubiquitous and entrenched in daily life.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in fresh water, I would have jumped in. I have revived at lease 5 or 6 phones from being dropped overboard (dad keeps his phone in his shirt pocket) take apart, rinse with bottled water, rinse with alcohol, let dry for a few hours. I keep the fishing net on board for this very reason.

he also dropped into salt a few times. was able to keep the pictures, etc on the sim card, however the phone was toast.

dropped a set of sunglasses in 20' of water in March one year in the bay of Green Bay. water was clear enough, we used the hooks on a spoon to grapple it. Wife lost a pair of really expensive sunglasses while cruising along last year.

recent trip for work, an entire hand rail off a side accomodation stair, and later on the vessel lost the landing wheels overboard. was at a boat a few months ago where the shipyard dropped the swim stair overboard.

about a dozen rods over the years (few large fish yanked a few out of the boat (not in rod holders), a few were lost while trolling, one while casting (hooked one of the other rods and tossed it about 30')

lost a watch while water skiing when I took a tumble

Buddy of dads sunk his whole boat. we were able to salvage the motor and boat, however all gear was lost (probably over the dam)

6 pack of bottles went off the swim platform once. bottles dont float like cans.

a prop nut in about 5' of very brackish water..... there is a flashlight down there too

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hats getting pulled or blown off while under way. I have looked and looked, but never recovered a single one!

Tools don't float either.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I seem to lose my fair share of hats, too. My daughter dropped her iPhone in the lake while we were docked, but we were able to retrieve it and revive it by putting it in a bag of rice for a week.

southkogs

Staff member
One of my wedding rings is down there ... yeah, try explaining that one when you get home :eek: :rant:Actually, kinda' took me a while to decide to go home.

When I was a kid, Dad had two Johnson rod & reel combos that he LOVED. They were older, and for us kids to get to use one was a treat. Dad, my brother and I were out fishing on the lake one day, and my brother had one of the Johnson sets. Sure enough, over the side it wound up ... 40' of water, weedy and mucky bottom ... and two scared to death kids (I think we were around 8 or 10 at the time) - dad wasn't gonna' find it going over the side.

While Dad is balancing giving it to my brother with both barrels, and reminding himself of the jail time associated with killing one's own children (which he still contends the sheriff would have completely understood) ... I get a tug on my line. Start reeling in - 'cuz my brother's in trouble, I'm the good kid - and yup, you guessed it: the Johnson rod and reel was on the end of my line.

My brother and I are still pretty close ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My favorite Fl Gator hat .... Looked and looked but never found ...
Fish slimy hands casting a new spin reel and rod .. The admiral still brings that up ! :facepalm: :cold:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Several pair of cheap sunglasses in several different lakes across this great country!

And my only pair of Oakleys somewhere of the coast of Abu Dhabi in the Persian Gulf!

I'm sure the fish look cool wearing them too.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I lost a 35 hp evinrude on my last boats maiden voyage, was a fresh rebuild to. Took the battery, broke the fuel line off the tank and blew a hole in the lower unit of the kicker motor. Then it started to rain and we were on the opposite side of the lake from the launch.

RGrew176

Commander
Boating since 1965. I have lost one waste (holding tank) cap overboard. The marina where I pumped out that day actually had one in stock so no big deal.

One hat, it sunk before I could get back to it.

One cell phone. Was exiting the boat and it caught on something and went overboard. Tried to find it but no go.

Not to bad for 51 years of boating.