Daytona.......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I like this quote from the FB link -" My junior class at Concord High School took a spring trip to Daytona--3 bus loads of teenagers. Our bus driver decided to take a lap on the race course and got stuck in the sand on the north turn. He couldn't get enough speed to keep going. 1957. Great memory."

Can you imagine the whining from todays drivers who expect a pool table smooth track? LOL

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's some awesome racing! I love watching pre 80's racing, but I expecially like watching pre war stuff when you can find it. Thanks for posting.

boatman37

Lieutenant
my step-fathers step-father raced in the first (maybe a couple) of Daytona beach nascar races. his name was Jim. can't think of his last name now. he passed away about 7 or 8 years ago. i will have to ask my mother what his last name was or if i saw an entry list i could pick it out

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Ya, the old/old racing is pretty neat..... Maybe that's part of the problem, the cars and tracks have become too perfect.....

aspeck

Staff member
Awwww, those were the racing days! Edward Glenn "Fireball" Roberts and others. Fireball was 18 when he ran his first Daytona Beach Race in 1947. IN 1948 he won the 150 mile event. That was when racing was fun!

boatman37

Lieutenant
my step-fathers step-father raced in the first (maybe a couple) of Daytona beach nascar races. his name was Jim. can't think of his last name now. he passed away about 7 or 8 years ago. i will have to ask my mother what his last name was or if i saw an entry list i could pick it out

talked to my mother today. Jims name was Jim Shaffer. i haven't had any luck finding info on him. maybe it wasn't the first daytona beach race? i never knew anything about him racing until at his funeral when it was mentioned or i would have asked him about it before

boatman37

Lieutenant
thats him. still lived in New Castle when he died (its about 10 miles north of me)