A Solution to Mourning Doves on the Bird Feeder...

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would love to have your problem. funny how its all a matter of perspective, birds around here that are common would probably be a treat for you while a rare visitor here like those doves are a pest to you.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
KJM, I wouldn't mind them if they would simply perch and eat, like ladies and gentlemen. But instead they burrow around for that "just right" seed, pushing so much out of the feeder in the process that they can virtually empty it in just a few visits. Given the purpose of the feeder and the amount of money I spend on seed, I can't ignore it. A few times over the years I've also had flocks of grackles settle nearby and do the same thing. You find yourself replacing as much as five pounds of birdseed every second day, while squirrels and chipmunks get fat on it.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
I have the type of feeders that look like barns-with about a 3/4 inch wide area for the birds to sit on.I've never seen a dove perch on them[they're too fat],they eat off the ground...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A year ago I posted about trying to rid my bird feeder of hordes of mourning doves, which come in droves, crowd out other birds, and knock more seed onto the ground than they eat. I was using a 12 volt auto horn powered by a battery charger to scare them off the feeder.

The idea worked, but of course always required me to be present to work it. These creatures continued their havoc whenever I wasn't around, and so it wasn't a satisfactory solution.

Well, I think I've got it now. Made a basic grid out of some wire shelving, allowing about 3 inches between the posts to allow the desired birds into the seed while keeping the big clumsy doves from landing. (Link below. Couldn't upload the file.)

So far, so good.

https://mega.nz/#!cw1yXaJB!QpKq8ma-4LBHn9WRaKfTFKAwvn8JfFfQbng-k-fGYfM