Who on here like to photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Current colors were gel with a few diagonal stripes in vinyl. Since we spray Imron at work, going that route. Was going to go gel initially, however i really like the idea of spray and splash vs spray, sand, buff, polish then splash

Im doing all the prep, painter from work doing the spraying

First coat will be an adhesion promotor followed by a white primer. To not build up too thick, the red will be tapped off and sprayed. Then the boat retaped and spray the white. The black accent will be done last. Vinyl pin stripe will be used to define the line between colors

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Holy high price batman.

the Fire Red (cant get Legendary Red in a non base-coat/top coat) is $800 a gallon or $250 a quart the white is really inexpensive at $150/gallon. Black is $200 per gallon.....the Red and Black may end up being tractor paint and hardener over the imron.

looked into wraps.... one local guy wants $2400, have a few more quotes coming in.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
looking for ideas on revising the paint scheme on the boat, and would like to add a radar arch to the boat. However I dont have photoshop.

anyone on here want to take a few side shots of a boat, and add in a radar arch and change the stripe scheme?

be careful.... may get multiple requests for doing this kind of work.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he can eat for the rest of his life and can teach others!

Install the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).

Photoshop is pretty expensive. The GIMP is free. They have a donate button but they don't bug you to donate.

https://www.gimp.org/

southkogs

Staff member
Yeeeouch! Look into cut vinyl from a sign shop too. I've done vinyl single color applications on vehicles that have lasted years.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
3M makes most of the vinyl. I used to float on decals that were over 5' x 8', so if i can find a place to cut the vinyl decals for a reasonable cost, good to go. Problem is the decals are good for about 7- 10 years max.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
3M makes most of the vinyl. I used to float on decals that were over 5' x 8', so if i can find a place to cut the vinyl decals for a reasonable cost, good to go. Problem is the decals are good for about 7- 10 years max.
I have (I guess) vinyl stripes on my 87 Four Winns. they're in mostly good shape, but I'd like to take them off and restripe in different colors and shapes.

I have removed some of them using a heat gun and they peel right off quite easily with only a little heat.

southkogs

Staff member
Is that the same kind of vinyl that most boats are striped with?
Honestly - I'm not sure what the manufacturers are using straight off the line. But, there are quite a few different types of vinyl out there for decals. Cast and calendar vinyls are the ones I'm most familiar with, and we've used both on vehicles. I've had decals on my Silverline that are still on there (even with the new owner) 6 years later.

I've not used any below the waterline, so I'm not certain what to expect there - but I've got two (a pickup that was almost a full wrap and then decals on a boat) that have been going strong for 6 years with little to no fading even (the pickup gets washed regularly and is a service vehicle).

Status
Not open for further replies.