Who on here like to photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looking for ideas on revising the paint scheme on the boat, and would like to add a radar arch to the boat. However I dont have photoshop.

anyone on here want to take a few side shots of a boat, and add in a radar arch and change the stripe scheme?

be careful.... may get multiple requests for doing this kind of work.

tpenfield

Staff member
I think that photoshop has become a generic term in that many programs do what photoshop has become famous for.

I did the color schemes on my F-330 using some photo editing tools . . . all from the same side shot photo.

Send your photos my way, I think I owe you a favor :)

PM me for email, etc.

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a free web based photoshop-esque site I can recommend if you pm me.
I use it at work because I don't have photoshop at my new job. Pretty easy to use too.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I think that photoshop has become a generic term in that many programs do what photoshop has become famous for.

I did the color schemes on my F-330 using some photo editing tools . . . all from the same side shot photo.

Send your photos my way, I think I owe you a favor :)

PM me for email, etc.

Will do

southkogs

Staff member
If you think you'll use it enough, pass over GIMP and spend $50 on Affinity Designer. If you have a Windows Machine you can sign up to use their free beta version (dunno' how selective they are). The software is nearly as good as PS & Illustrator combined (in some ways a little better).

Scott Danforth

Staff member
my problem is I wont use it enough. I thought of building a complete model in solidworks and photo rendering it however did that with the kitchen and I was dealing with simple cabinets and sink. spent about 100 hours on kitchen designs and layouts before the admiral liked it enough for us to spend the boat fund on cabinets..... thought of drawing something in Rhino, however dont have enough seat time.

On projects like the boat, I'm more of a simple sketche then build a mock-up out of foam and go from there guy..... just dont have the time with work, and when I finally get home, its after 7.

However many people are talented with photo editing and other programs and like doing that kind of work. Hence the tread.

southkogs

Staff member
I've been surprised at what a pain modeling a boat hull is in 3D software. I have two different programs I work in (plus all of my graphics packages - even Photoshop does 3D now). I do 3D modeling quite a bit, but it's mostly illustration - so, it's more important to look right than to "be" right. I cheat a LOT :)

tpenfield

Staff member
I use a combination of paint, seashore, preview, and graphic (Autodesk). All Mac programs. Each having its own strengths for the task at hand.

southkogs

Staff member
I have all of the big Adobe stuff at my fingertips. But that's how I make a living ...

There's no shortage of editing software out there. And there's quite a bit that's actually pretty good.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Here are some pics that we started with......

my actual boat

IMG00151_zpsknnbmfrv.jpg

some internet boats

1988-cruisers-inc-rogue-2420-blue-1_zpspmzbgwna.jpg Rogue 2500 in white_zpsvlh4bekj.jpg 1988-rogue-2420_zpsorftndh8.jpg

some newer boats mostly with arches

nice-graphics_zpsre7t4eqo.jpg cruiser-with-arch_zpsxp6usndx.jpg new-cruisers-bowrider_zpsidw9stlm.jpg

The current boats in the running

all white
image_251240_zpsedfrqw7r.png

with graphics
image_251475_zpsylpnjvoc.png image_251476_zpsbyqpfrym.png image_251477_zpsxgbq1nfq.png

with graphics and arch
image_251584_zps4vqpx44o.jpg image_251601_zps6adv8wte.png image_251602_zpsleisn9ek.png

other color schemes

image_252631_zpsqvx44imk.png image_252632_zpsa4aikbdi.png

With Huggy Bear
image_251585_zpskxjqlhls.jpg sig-pic_zpsa4xzlkih.png

Attachments

• sig-pic_zpsa4xzlkih.png
    sig-pic_zpsa4xzlkih.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 12
  • sig-pic_zpsa4xzlkih.png
    sig-pic_zpsa4xzlkih.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 212,603
Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Hey Scott,

Looks like you have got some nice designs there. :thumb: Sorry I have not been able to help more, it has been crazy busy at work and such. Where did the base line drawing come from? I was looking for something like that :)

I like the #2 and the #3 designs.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
They all look pretty cool ! Loose the arch on Huggy Bear .. Looks better without ...Or maybe a different style ...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
They all look pretty cool ! Loose the arch on Huggy Bear .. Looks better without ...Or maybe a different style ...

pretty sure the designer was being funny with that one....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Here are a couple of new versions..... not sure which arch I like:

No arch
image_252630_zpstkriginw.png

aft sweeping arch..
image_252632_zpsa4aikbdi.png

forward sweeping arch...
image_252631_zpsqvx44imk.png

another version of forward sweeping arch...
image_251602_zpsleisn9ek.png

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Colors have been picked out.

DuPont Imron paint
Snow White
Brilliant Black
Legendary Red (Peterbilt signature color)

southkogs

Staff member
Are you painting the boat yourself? And you're doing actual paint, not vinyl graphics?

tpenfield

Staff member
Imron would be the way to go. I was thinking that the white would be the hull color . . . but the hull already colors, either by gelcoat or paint so I guess you gotta make it white first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.