any e-85 users?

82rude

Rear Admiral
NO WAR PLEASE.Anybody use e-85 in their car or truck.Just curious if you save in the long run or does the lower power of e-85 cancel out any savings at the pump?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
rude! Not only power, but your gas mileage will tank..... As mentioned in the "other" thread, a person that tried it refuses to ever use it again....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Lot's of studies have shown that its more expensive to use it. Of course you will have the occasional person who disputes this saying my "Chevy Impala...blah blah blah" but controlled tests show different.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Lot's of studies have shown that its more expensive to use it. Of course you will have the occasional person who disputes this saying my "Chevy Impala...blah blah blah" but controlled tests show different.

Funny. The person I'm talking about drives an Impala.......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
How many of these gas threads are now going on? :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
:popcorn:.....:behindsofa:....E85 shines when you have a heavily modded motor with a bunch of boost. for a daily driver, the cost does not justify its existence.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Too many yes but at the same time I didn't want to hijack .My question was answered to my satisfaction so this one can die a noble death.

bassman284

Commander
:popcorn:.....:behindsofa:....E85 shines when you have a heavily modded motor with a bunch of boost. for a daily driver, the cost does not justify its existence.
Indycars run 98% ethanol and 2% high octane gasoline. The gasoline is only there as a denaturant, i.e., makes it undrinkable. In Sao Paulo, Brazil they use 100% ethanol.

My Jeep is supposed to be Flex and I have considered someday getting a tank of E-85 just for yucks and giggles, but the cost vs. mileage wouldn't make sense. Just might be fun some time. My sister and her husband tried it in their minivan once and said it worked fine but the fuel mileage went down the toilet.

Here in Iowa we still have 87 octane straight regular gas available which is what I use in my boat. I get better mileage on my Jeep with that than with E-10 but unfortunately not quite enough better to justify the $0.40 per gallon price difference. On the other hand, I'm thinking I should go that way just to encourage them to keep supplying it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
The reason I asked is apparently you can buy a comp that plugs into the 2003 f150 that will remap it to accept e-85.The epa frowns on shops doing this but I'm not under or care about the epa ,s jurisdiction.But if theres no concrete savings theres no point in spending the money to make my truck flex.Where I live gas is 5bucks plus a gallon.Exactly 10 minutes from my house is the border and 2.36 a gallon gas1.80 for e-85.Even though your gallon is smaller I still save money by going to soo michigan.to fill up the truck and bring gas back for the boat.Basically it works out to 7 gallons free,plus I invade wallyworld for cheap chicken leg quarters and my favorite, mustard greens.:lol: https://www.change2e85.com/

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you calculate mile per dollar, E85 has a low mile per dollar output. However if you want to run it, up to you. Doesn't make financial sense.

To convert a non flex fuel vehicle to run E85, you have to change the fuel pump, ecm (as you indicated), fuel system seals, and I believe regulator and injectors.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTU content is 30% less than gasoline. You do the math and see if it's worth it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Gentlemen I believe I already said I believed it wasn't worth it on what you guys advised.The f150 is already set fuel system wise as they had a flex fuel option already back then I believe.As it sits I'm good for up to e-20 which ive never seen around here its 10 or 85 and only in Soo Michigan not Ontario which is 5 to 10 though the pumps are not required to tell you .IF anybody is in sault ste marie Ontario and wants non-e you have to get the esso plus at trunk road .The holiday and krist in Soo Michigan show non e super for those that care.I just buy the 87 at holiday or admiral in Soo Michigan.

MRS

Commander
When I bought my truck Ram 1500 it will run on it, but even the dealer said he would not unless I was out of gas and that is all they had left at the gas station.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Gas is cheap down here ($1.75 gal; have seen it as low as $1.49). When I was working; mileage was a concern. Admiral's 4.0 Sports Trac rocks around 21mpg. The F150 S/C around 18.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Seeing as how my next truck will be in 2 years and will be a 3 year old off lease f150 with most likely the 5.0l I quess it will be flex anyways.The small ecoboost cant be ruled out either.So I'm looking at 2015 trucks in 2018 I figure.Why 2018?Well I will turn 60 then and I will get Canada pension which will give me a raise of 700 before taxes a month.So in theory that pays for a used truck.And no its not free money as I worked 35 years and had Canada pension deducted off my check for the same amount of time.

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I bought my truck Ram 1500 it will run on it, but even the dealer said he would not unless I was out of gas and that is all they had left at the gas station.

It's the 4.7 V8? The fuel economy ratings for that truck on E85 are dreadful, 9 city / 13 hwy if I recall right.