Excuse the newbie

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As a follow up on my post about my Dad's Ithaca 45 cal, I am looking for ammo to check it out since I'm guessing the 15 year old ammo that came with it is no longer viable. I am seeing different grain loads. What are the pros/cons of each load?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There is no reason to not shoot the ammo you have, if it was stored correctly it will last a lot longer than 15 years, heck I have ammo around here from the 70's that still shoots fine because it was stored properly.

In my .45 I prefer 220 or 230 grains, I think I have 230 FMJ rounds in my .45 right now, easy ammo to work with and normally pretty accurate for target shooting.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've heard a lot about proper storage, in this case it was stored in an ammo box in a closet in whatever the a/c kept the house at.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I've heard a lot about proper storage, in this case it was stored in an ammo box in a closet in whatever the a/c kept the house at.

I would not be afraid to shoot it at all, how much do you have? If in an ammo box, it should be at least enough to get you started.

I would suspect they look like brand new shells.

aspeck

Staff member
That ammo would not scare me ... shucks, I just shot some shells my grandfather had that were probably 50 years old and they were as accurate as the new reloads.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It looks like some are brass and some are lead bullets, one box of 50 are hollow point 185 grain.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
185 are good for target practice, I have not found them to be good rounds for shooting that could be considered important, but hell, I would put them in the magazine and bang away with them. If you have 250 rounds, then go out and shoot them and think of your Dad and SMILE!

And after loosing my Dad back in Oct. they are not "free" we paid a big price for them, but our Dad's would want us to enjoy them.

Have fun with them.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Definitely a poor choice of words, I thank every service member I cross for their service