Excuse the newbie

kenk63

Cadet
1911's are pretty durable guns, take it to a gun smith to check out then learn how to break down clean and maintain it, if it is a true service weapon from WWII, it is quite valuable. Now one thing, to remember, if you take it to a gun smith, you will probably be required to fill out form 4473 to get it back when you pick it up. That is not a problem as long as you don't have anything in your background that could raise questions, I just mention it, because if there is a glitch in their system, which I see from time to time, then the gun smith would be required by law to retain the firearm, I am not passing any judgements, I would just hate to see someone loose an older valuable gun because their system messed up on something.

I am a gunsmith and 01/FFL, filling out a 4473 is not required for work performed when picked up

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am a gunsmith and 01/FFL, filling out a 4473 is not required for work performed when picked up

I am a 07/FFL/SOT, you you may have to fill out a 4473 when picking a gun back up from a FFL holder, it depends on the state and the locals laws.

Last edited:

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so what is the decoder ring for 01 07 SOT ( i got FFL )

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ok, so what is the decoder ring for 01 07 SOT ( i got FFL )

No Secret decoder rings involved at all, just a good understanding of how the government writes their regulations.

I am simply saying there are instances when you take your gun to a gunsmith you may have to fill out a background check form 4473, it is really pretty simple.

If you are a FFL holder, you should be aware of that fact.

Last edited:

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Understand the 4473 form. I was curious what a 01/FFL was and what a 07/FFL/SOT was. What was the difference in the licenses.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Understand the 4473 form. I was curious what a 01/FFL was and what a 07/FFL/SOT was. What was the difference in the licenses.

My 07/FFL/SOT allows me to manufacture NFA items, currently my partner and I are licensed to manufacture suppressors, but if we decided to, we could manufacture guns for sale, an 01/FFL is licensed to work on and sell retail guns that is manufactured by others including NFA items, but an 01/FFL cannot manufacture guns. There is several different types of FFL currently approved by the BATF. Most retail stores are 01/FFL holders which allows them to sell guns. And now things are changing again, they have once again, added new rules to what defines an FFL.

It can be very confusing, which is why, I have been set up to receive alerts every single day as to how they are changing rules, regulations and laws, and I spend a couple of hours every day reading through new proposals and things that have been implemented.

SOT stands for Special Occupational Taxpayer, FFL 7 is a manufacture

The rules, regulations and laws are very confusing, if you don't stay up on there every single day, and sometimes, they change daily!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT, I once had an FFL myself. However during the time I received my FFL, we were in the middle of moving and therefore the FFL was null and void. I never made even one transaction with that FFL licences, not one. Then the issues started. I let me FFL expire and didn't renew it even after moving to our new home. So I contacted the FFL folks and told them I was not a FFL person/dealer anymore. So they told me I had to send them all the yellow forms that I filled out and send them in to them. I stated I didn't have any yellow forms because I never made any transactions ever. And so they stated "I needed to send the yellow forms to them". And the went on for months afterwards. For some strange reason they couldn't understand I didn't have any yellow forms to send to them and we went around and around until one of them finally listened to what I was saying. She then stated that I shouldn't have any forms. And I stated exactly and that was the end of it. But not until many many phone called took place. Amazing to see how careful they seem to be with such things and yet allow other things to just slip by. If all the rules and laws presently on the books were treat as equal, then we would have so many shooting in America. But they aren't...obviously.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
MT, I once had an FFL myself. However during the time I received my FFL, we were in the middle of moving and therefore the FFL was null and void. I never made even one transaction with that FFL licences, not one. Then the issues started. I let me FFL expire and didn't renew it even after moving to our new home. So I contacted the FFL folks and told them I was not a FFL person/dealer anymore. So they told me I had to send them all the yellow forms that I filled out and send them in to them. I stated I didn't have any yellow forms because I never made any transactions ever. And so they stated "I needed to send the yellow forms to them". And the went on for months afterwards. For some strange reason they couldn't understand I didn't have any yellow forms to send to them and we went around and around until one of them finally listened to what I was saying. She then stated that I shouldn't have any forms. And I stated exactly and that was the end of it. But not until many many phone called took place. Amazing to see how careful they seem to be with such things and yet allow other things to just slip by. If all the rules and laws presently on the books were treat as equal, then we would have so many shooting in America. But they aren't...obviously.

The biggest problem with the BATF is one hand does not know what the other hand is doing!!!

You can take 10 different agents and get 20 different answers to the same question! Everything in the BATF is open to interpretation, it just depends on which agent you talk to!.

Nothing the BATF rules on is actually a law until such time as Congress votes on it and the President signs it, but they have the force of law under the guise of being a "Rule"

It is really screwy the way the BATF does things and their agents have far to much power of interpretation in their corner, but people don't realize, just because an agent tells you one thing does not mean it is true!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The biggest problem with the BATF is one hand does not know what the other hand is doing!!!

You can take 10 different agents and get 20 different answers to the same question! Everything in the BATF is open to interpretation, it just depends on which agent you talk to!.

Nothing the BATF rules on is actually a law until such time as Congress votes on it and the President signs it, but they have the force of law under the guise of being a "Rule"

It is really screwy the way the BATF does things and their agents have far to much power of interpretation in their corner, but people don't realize, just because an agent tells you one thing does not mean it is true!

MT If you were to substitute IRS for BATF, it would still apply perfectly. Isn't that sad? :sorry:

thumpar

Admiral
Since the 4473 is federal I don't think any local laws would apply to that. There may be state or county paperwork depending on the location though.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Since the 4473 is federal I don't think any local laws would apply to that. There may be state or county paperwork depending on the location though.

4473 can always apply, in most states if you pawn a gun, you have to pass a background check to get it back, here in MT, I have to fill out a 4473 if I take my gun to a gunsmith, in WA and OR you have to fill one out and pass it, if you sell or give a gun to your neighbor. It always pays to check with your local laws before you do anything with a firearm.

Pusher

Lieutenant
To the original poster. Make sure you get a quick briefing on gun safety... More for your kids benefit than yours so they know it was important enough to have someone else come explain it.

If not that then just check the barrel and make sure it's clean and nothing is obstructing it. If the spirals inside look clean, crsip and uniform then it should be in great shape.

Pusher

Lieutenant
This is obvious to most but just in case... Avoid dry firing it. They make dummy cases if you need to do that.

thumpar

Admiral
I dry fire all the time. Maybe on older guns it is an issue but not anymore.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
With the design of the 1911 you can break the firing pin by dry firing, it is not recommended on any firearm, even new ones, the best practice is picking up snap caps for each one of your firearms. Even with a new AR I have seen the front of the FCG pocket crack from dry firing.

thumpar

Admiral
With the design of the 1911 you can break the firing pin by dry firing, it is not recommended on any firearm, even new ones, the best practice is picking up snap caps for each one of your firearms. Even with a new AR I have seen the front of the FCG pocket crack from dry firing.
On the AR I am assuming you are referring to the wall between the mag well and the FCG. That will crack if you dry fire without the upper and just let the hammer free. When I have them separate I just put my palm over the hammer if I want to pull the trigger. The only guns I don't dry fire are my pre-serial number guns.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can use a fired cartridge to dry fire a gun and it will buffer the firing pin from hitting the bolt face or frame. However, snap caps are the better idea. One thing I will absolutely recommend to never do and that is dry fire a rim-fire anything. Since the firing pin (group) is designed to hit the edge rim, it will certain mess up the chamber over time. JMHO

thumpar

Admiral
Glock says it is fine as long as it is not long sessions of it. S&W says it is fine on there handguns unless it is a .22 model.