Seen on the waterfront today.

southkogs

Staff member
There were both. Shot from the rudder was the 17, and the shot from the front was the 25. Two different birds there.

That galleon is beautiful.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Was that a B-17?
Something doesn't seem quite right. Any USAF types in here?
I'm a USAF type.

Post #3 is a B-17 Flying Fortress
Post #4 is a B-25 Mitchell
Post #6 is an F-18... one of those Navy jobbies. :lol:

82rude

Rear Admiral
The f-18 is Canadian .Does have the hook though.The pilot is a local kid,lots of people were chatting with himThe last big show was many years ago and featured a p-47 ,v.c. corsair,c-5 galaxy,etc.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I'm a USAF type.

Post #3 is a B-17 Flying Fortress
Post #4 is a B-25 Mitchell
Post #6 is an F-18... one of those Navy jobbies. :lol:

Thanks.
I recognised the Mitchell instantly....I've seen Spencer Tracy organise the 1942 raid on Tokyo many times. :)
The F-18 are flown by the RCAF, so I know them as well.

But something seemed odd about the B-17....seemed a bit sleeker and fewer turrets than in 12 O'Clock High. :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks.
I recognised the Mitchell instantly....I've seen Spencer Tracy organise the 1942 raid on Tokyo many times. :)
The F-18 are flown by the RCAF, so I know them as well.

But something seemed odd about the B-17....seemed a bit sleeker and fewer turrets than in 12 O'Clock High. :)
It's just the angle of the B-17 in the pic. The nose turret and tail turret guns aren't visible. And there are no .50 caliber machine guns hanging out of the side either.

Last year I went to an air show and walked through a B-17 and B-25. Very cool stuff!

southkogs

Staff member
Any idea where the 17 hailed out of? There are several of 'em flying and they typically congregate a few in Dyersburg, TN each year for an airshow. Dyersburg was the training base for the 17s during the war.

thumpar

Admiral
A friend of mine is involved with the Collings Foundation. They have a B-17 and a B-24 they tour around. When they were here he gave me a private tour of the B-17. WOW, those suckers are tight getting into. Once you are in the cockpit it is fine but don't plan on roaming about the cabin.

southkogs

Staff member
WOW, those suckers are tight getting into.
Right? I managed to get on board the CAFs B-29 two years ago, and you would think that hoss would be a little roomier. Dunno' how the two waist gunners stood up at the same time.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I believe these 2 are out of Arizona?Something like legends of flying or such.When I was little I sat in a sabre,for a young kid that was mucho cool.My dad has a pic of me as a toddler sitting in a gun turret on the hmcs Bonaventure canadas last aircraft carrier.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I believe these 2 are out of Arizona?Something like legends of flying or such.
Ha! That's the Commemorative Air Force Arizona base! I've seen the 17 before here in TN.

When I was little I sat in a sabre,for a young kid that was mucho cool.
F86 is a cool bird. Was my grandpa's favorite and I got to be around 'em quite a bit. Surprising how noisy the intake on that thing can be.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
QUOTE=82rude;n10256352]My dad has a pic of me as a toddler sitting in a gun turret on the hmcs Bonaventure canadas last aircraft carrier.[/QUOTE]

Big 22 :)

82rude

Rear Admiral
My dad served on her.Got him a beautiful framed plate of her under full steam.HE then tranfered to the airforce and I spent 7 years at cfb borden watching trainee pilots try to kill the mighty chipmunk.Man I saw more bouncing than at a kids bouncy castle,lol.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Spent probably the best 17 years of my life as an military brat.Im sure lots of you guys can agree with that feeling.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I grew up at Shearwater.
Dad was the Commissioning Officer of the Bonnie...he took delivery at H&A in Belfast mid-50s...same gang that did the Titanic. :)

82rude

Rear Admiral
Cool did your dad serve on her other than commissioning?I belive my uncle ended up as a destroyer capt.The old man served on some of those corks also.Icame within a hairs breath of going to Kingston but needed one course more and I wasn't willing to get the extra credit.Did do milita duty in Winnipeg though in the 70,s. If its ok p.m. me with your dads name and I will ask the oldman if he remembers him .Small world.

Last edited: