Introduction: hello... New possible boat owner?

Puddles

Recruit
New to boating. I found a possible first boat, but know nothing of older boats. I have been around, driven, loaded, unloaded, rented and used small boats. But never owned one. I have found a beautiful little 17' 1970 Seaflight with a mercruiser I/O that looks in decent shape. It has been garage kept for its whole life. Bright and shiny fiberglass. It hasn't really been used since 09' but it recently had fluids change and services done by a reputable boat shop. And I have a video of it running, forward and reverse with a rev up. It sounds good. It was owned by one man, a transmission mechanic, it's whole life. I just want some feedback on it being my first boat. I have some limited mechanical ability, but I don't want a project. I want to fish. No water sports other than swimming off the back. I understand it won't be fast, I just want reliable. What say you all? I can post pics when the forum lets me.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Puddles.

I moved you over to the general forum ... you'll get a lot of views this way.

It's good looking, and for $2,200 seems reasonable. There's a buyer's checklist at the top of this forum. I'd read it over, and then go look at it for sure.

Boats (and it really doesn't matter the age) are going to want attention in the garage. There's always something to fix, but as long as the hull is in good shape and the drive works like it's supposed to ... she shouldn't be a project boat.

Puddles

Recruit
Thanks, sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I did read through that buying guide. Thanks! I will go over it again with a fine tooth comb tomorrow.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Check all the bellows for cracking. They can dry out even sitting in the garage. Also you will probably want to install a new water pump impeller, , it's cheap insurance.
Or if you wanted to have that nice warm fuzzy feeling, take the boat to a reputable Mercruiser shop and have them replace all the bellows and the water pump.

A fresh set of points and condensers might be in order too.

wahlejim

Cool looking little boat! What engine is in there?

A couple of things to check on a new to you boat and probably replace so you know where you are starting from:

Water pump impeller in drive unit
Change gear oil, check for any milky coloring or metal chunks
spark plugs
dist. cap
wires
coil
battery
check condition of fuel, if it has been stored with fuel in it, it may be bad

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If everything checks out ok upon inspection, including a compression check, lake test it. If it runs well and puts a big smile on your face, buy it. After dickering, of course..

Post up the vid......... :)

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
It looks like it is incredible shape for a 46 year old boat and the price seems good. Although if you buy it offer much lower and negotiate a final price. There's so much to look for in an older boat that you could write a book outlining what to check out. Buying an older boat is a crap shoot unless you are a boat expert. Just keep in mind that boat is almost 50 years old. If you were buying a 50 year old car what would you expect? Probably not much, but you would expect to put a lot of $$$ into it to keep it running. A 50 year old boat doesn't get as much use as a car but the marine environment is harsh and hard on equipment. Be cautious and be sure to put it in the water and test drive it. Good luck, I hope it works out well for you. Oh yeh and remember BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
50 yr old car? The pinnacle year for muscle cars that would cost a fortune.... If kept in pristine condition like the OPs boat and some not so pristine... :)

iggyw1

If it's running as good as it looks, I would buy it. Five years ago, I bout a 1964 boat. Three years ago, I changed that to a 1978 boat. About a month ago, I bought a 1991 boat. In a few more years, I plan on buying a brand new one. none of them were project boats, but they all needed minor work and cleaning. I sold every one of them for more than I had into them. Those older boats are built better in my opinion, than the boats of today. Good luck with your new boat.