I honestly have no idea!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Had an unusual things happen to me today and was wondering if anybody else had any similar experiences. Our family eats out most every Sunday together. And we change the places we eat each week as well. Well today we went to Buffalo Wild Wings. We all seem to enjoy their wings very much.

We had a waiter/waitress serve us. I say that because I honestly had no idea if the person was a male or female. But I was always taught to be very polite to everyone and I do practice that daily. The person was taking my order stated it back to me and asked if that was correct. My instant replay was "Yes Mam" because while the person had a crew cut hair on the sides, the person also had a little longer hair on the top but also wore ear rings. And because the person was on the heavy side, I again honestly couldn't tell if the person was a he or she because of the weight issues and therefore possible breasts either way.

After the person left, I asked if I made a huge mistake addressing him/her with yes mam? I seriously didn't want to make any assumptions but I still have no idea. The name tag was Keeby. Again, it could go either way. Certainly not wanting to offend anybody or trying to start anything but sincerely still wonder? Has anybody else come across such a situation? If so, how did you handle it? I certainly don't want to be disrespectful to anybody when dinning out...ever! :noidea:

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Just don't use any gender specific words. A simple, yes, sounds right to me, would work just fine.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just don't use any gender specific words. A simple, yes, sounds right to me, would work just fine.

You are probably right. But old habits are very hard to stop. Yes Sir and Yes Mam are infused in my demeanor and usually comes out without much thought. Times are changing I see.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You can't even tell by which bathroom they use these days.......:noidea:

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back in 1976, I was 16 then, I'm 55 now, my very first job were I paid in social security working at a grocery store I was stocking dog food knelt down bottom shelf this person walks up behind me and ask me "where are your nuts", I turned around and it was a black guy dressed in a halter top, short shorts, high heels with makeup,ear rings, and wearing a wig. The only thing I could say was they are on isle 6.

Tony

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't worry about it anymore, the world has changed so much since I grew, I figure anything I say will be good to go!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Had an unusual things happen to me today and was wondering if anybody else had any similar experiences. Our family eats out most every Sunday together. And we change the places we eat each week as well. Well today we went to Buffalo Wild Wings. We all seem to enjoy their wings very much.

We had a waiter/waitress serve us. I say that because I honestly had no idea if the person was a male or female.................

If an individuals appearance renders them so gender netural their gender cannot be identified. My miss addressing them would never cause me concern;);)