Screened In Porch Ideas and Such

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Our house is a split level ranch with a big second story deck on the back. Under the deck is a patio that never ever gets used, and that's a shame because 1. it's easily accessed via sliding glass door from the very popular downstairs bonus room and 2. it looks out across the big back yard of a house that's hosted many an indoor/outdoor party with kids and adults and will likely continue to do so. I've threatened for years to screw some translucent fiberglass to the bottom of the deck joists so I can at least sit out there when it's raining but never have, mainly because it would be trashy looking and the admiral would rightly be unhappy with it. We've been on the fence regarding whether we should move or stick around and I think we've decided to stick around, so now I'd like to actually do something with that wasted space. My idea:

Stain the existing concrete slab, enclose the space with a classic knee wall and screen configuration, install some kind of waterproof top (need ideas for that) and, here's the kicker, add a wood stove. I know wood stoves aren't supposed to be outdoors, but what I have in mind is an old one salvaged from somewhere, very likely the Ozarks, so I wouldn't have concerns about voiding warranties or anything. We don't have a fireplace or wood stove and I want one some kind of bad. The admiral won't allow one in the house so this would be my only shot. It would also be cool to have hinged windows that could be let down over the screens in cold weather if so desired. Since this project wouldn't require perfection I figure I could do the staining, source and install the wood stove and install the screening. I'd have to hire the carpentry. I'm pretty handy but really terrible at that.

What y'all think? Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions, comments, concerns?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
What kind of decking is on the deck? T+G, plywood, cedar planking? If you put that fiberglass under the deck it will catch the water and become a trap+ lots of condensation.
Maybe a Dura-Deck covering over the upper deck?

there is a pretty cheap and easy way to water proof the bottom side of a deck as long as you have or can get your hands on a metal brake. bend your metal to look like a wide M that should be 14.5" from the outside bends, then make a 1.5 inch wide U that will catch all of the bottoms of the M pieces, run these at a slight angle down the joists of your deck to a gutter. I have done this on multiple occasions and you can even insulate under it and finish the area if you want.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Are you planning on pulling any permits? That is where I would be stating in my thought process as to the building code especially where a stove or fireplace is concerned. Of course your areas may be similar to where one of my lake homes is located and there really isn't a hard and fast building code for certain things as odd as that seems.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Are you planning on pulling any permits? That is where I would be stating in my thought process as to the building code especially where a stove or fireplace is concerned. Of course your areas may be similar to where one of my lake homes is located and there really isn't a hard and fast building code for certain things as odd as that seems.

Good question. I'm in town so a building permit would likely be necessary.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Incoop, post a few pictures of the area and maybe even a crude drawing what you have in mind. Then we can possibly visualize what you want and provide some suggestion. But it sounds easily doable. JMHO!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
YUP pictures!
Remember you are turning your deck now into a roof that you walk on.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think Zool just last year put some type fiberglass deck on his place at the beach that was a rental that he sold .. Thats how I would go .. Sealing the top instead of under the deck somehow ...

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Okay, thanks fellers. I'll get some pics up and maybe a sketch that looks like it was drawn by the alternative school drafting class. Rob, the deck floor is just standard PT 1x6 boards.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
So instead of a wood stove, which would add to your requirements when pulling permit, consider one of these patio heaters ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardensun...A-SS/202026621 ). You wont be using it that much, can start it up and shutdown when you want. No wood ash or wood at all to worry about.

EDIT: Roof idea

look at the deck joists with relation to your bearing beam of the deck. You would need an angle (slope of the interior roof) that starts out a 0" ( at house side ), and ends with an inch or 2 more that the depth of the bearing beam. so for example:
your deck from the house to the bearing beam is 10 feet.
your bearing beam is 10 inches.
You would need to build a triangular truss that starts at 0" and runs to 12" over the 10 foot span. Put in a few supports along the way.
Build as many as you have joists. Then buy this ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Metal-Sa...of-Panel-in-Burnished-Slate-2313449/204255062 ) and attach nice side down.

Last edited: