Nascar Week #20 - Brickyard And Dirty Trucks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This week a double-header of sorts. Tonight Trucks are racing at Tony Stewart's own Eldora Speedway. This is the only Nascar national series race not run on a hard racing surface. Eldora is a dirt track and makes for a special Truck race. MRN's Eldora schedule;

eldora.PNG

Over the weekend Cup and X-Men are running at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The event kicks off with the first X-Practice at Noon Friday and finishes up with the Cup race on Sunday. Again, the schedule courtesy of MRN;

indy.PNG

Weather may be a factor - Saturday and Sunday both have a lowish chance of thunderstorms. I guess because the heat of Summer causes that.

The entry list is at 41 teams, with the #93 team of Ryan Ellis out of the race if qualifying is canceled.

]B]News and Notes[/B]
  • The #88 will be piloted by Jeff Gordon this week and at Pocono next week. Gordon will fill in as long as it takes for Dale Jr. to get through his concussion recovery. If Gordon finishes the season, wins a race and is among the top 30 in points, will Nascar waive the Chase rules? :rolleyes:
  • Jayski's posted this -
    Drivers who are not a Charter team, an Open Team, and must get in via speed: #21-Blaney, #30-Wise, #55-Sorenson, #88-Jeff Gordon, #93-Ellis, #98-Whitt.
    I find that Gordon is listed as an Open driver very confusing, Bowman had a Charter spot last week, but Gordon doesn't. When did drivers become a Charter team and not the team itself? :confused:
  • Penalty report - Plenty of teams flunked inspections (15), but none was worse than Matt Kenseth. His car failed the post-race laser inspection after winning. He is losing 15 points, The team is 15 owner points and his crew chief's wallet is lighter by $25K.
  • Here we go again - The next Michigan race will run the low, low downforce package debuted at Kentucky. Also, there is talk of adding more timing loops on pit road following Truex's pit road passing penalty. The Nascar rule book is written on Jello! :facepalm:
  • Cup Sponsorship search - A dozen are reportedly in the mix. The ten year deal price tag is estimated to be as high as $1B (yes, that's a B or a lot of zeros) down to a low of $75M-$50M, which is the range Sprint has been paying. The $50M is the renegotiated Sprint contract. Still a lot of money when less and less are watching and attending the races.
  • New Hampshire TV ratings from Jayski's when Nascar is trying to maximize profits paid by sponsors;
    New Hampshire TV Ratings: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from New Hampshire scored a 2.0 overnight rating on NBCSN Sunday afternoon, down 13% from last year (2.3) and down 23% from 2014 on TNT (2.6). Overnights for the race have now dropped a full point in three years (from 3.0 in 2013).

iboats Fantasy Live

Jip was a first time winner last week. Maybe he should have dropped Dale Jr. earlier. Still, you deserve the :first: - Congrats!
Trackchick Stars added more points on top of the overall leaderboard.​

Jeff Gordon's Fantasy Live value is $25.50. I don't know what Dale Jr,'s value was for his last race at Kentucky, but maybe Gordon is affordable for anyone wanting to pick him up. Make sure your rosters are updated before Indy is flagged green on Sunday. Good luck!

Humpty Dumpty

humpy.PNG

GA_Boater

Kyle Larson won the Truck race in the dirt at Eldora. Bell, a Truck regular, came in 2nd.

I didn't see this part of the race, but something strange happened. Larson lost a tire while leading, taking him into the wall bringing out a caution. He was held in the pits for a 1 lap penalty for intentionally causing a caution. Did he stay out with a flat?

GA_Boater

Cup qulifying results;

Pole goes to Shrubby, followed by Edwards, Stewart, Hamlin, Keso, Newman, Harvick, Truex Jr., McMurrray, Larson, Busch41 and finally Dillon. Wise was the unlucky dog and will miss the race. Gordon in the 88 is in 21st place.

On the X-Men side - Shrubby won and was followed by 3 more Buschwhackers. The highest placing X-Reg was Allgaier in 5th.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
X-Men was a snoozer, literally! I feel asleep.... :sleep:

GA_Boater

I didn't even watch after seeing Shrubby was starting on the pole. Some development series!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Last I saw there was around 15 cars on the lead lap. And that's a big track....

Getting a storm with a bunch of rain. Just what this area needs, potential more flooding....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I hope Cup is a lot more interesting than X-Men.....

GA_Boater

Smoke has the honor of leading the 1st pace lap in front of the pace car for his last Nascar Indy race. Wonder if Gordon had that same honor last year? :rolleyes:.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hey! Leave Smoke alone. Aint that right Art............

GA_Boater

Green flag and we're off.

Shrubby leads the 1st lap with Smoke pushing through for 2nd.

GA_Boater

1st caution on lap 3 for the #83, Dibenedetto smoking. Looks like the motor blew.

GA_Boater

Restart - Shrubby stays in front and Stewart still chasing.

GA_Boater

20 laps in and Shrubby has a 5 second lead. This may as boring as last night.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm doing my billing at the same time. I glance up every now and then......

GA_Boater

40 laps and Keso has not pitted. Only 20 cars on the lead lap.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe I'll go outside and sit in the shade while doing my billing.....