Younger..Younger Generation

sam60

Captain
Took our oldest Grandson to hobby dept. at a large local merchant this AM to look at Estes rockets. I bought various engines to provide propulsion for different wind conditions.

We got home, ate breakfast and he fell asleep on the couch. He woke up and asked if we could launch the rocket. I explained to the 14 year old that he needs to assemble it. 1 hour later with some good bonding while he was assembling it, he launched. Grandkids are very fun when you direct their interests. He was off electronics for 2 hours. :eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member
2hrs? Wow how did he manage the withdrawl symptoms. :becky:

Sounds like a great Sunday, nap included... bonus....

Launched a lot of those rockets, way back when....

Ah.. the 70s..... my favorite, that my dad still has, was our StarWars X-Wing fighter.

Our local rocket club launches once a month where I work. Gotta look up their calendar

sam60

Captain
The cool thing jb, is that I was looking forward to it more than he was. I'm just an aging kid. He gets it now.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks for the reminder, put the 30th on my calendar.

I bet it was great spending the time

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
thanks for bringing up the memories. Launched many rockets with my son over the years,

A couple years ago my sister happened to call, apparently my nephew's class was going to build and launch rockets for school. they were told if they had any at home they could launch those as well. my sister was calling to inquire if I might have something that would "impress" the kids in class.

well as a matter of fact.....

yeah he got to be the rockstar that day. LOL only near miss hap was a clueless dad who was trying to "predict" the wind deflection of it and was aiming it very near buildings. I mentioned to him rockets are better off when sent "upward" it was a good time all together.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I have to admit, I still have a few model rockets laying around for my grandkids as well. At least that is my cover story. Who doesn't like launching model rockets? :noidea: Model rockets was all I was interested in during my early teen years. Obviously that change shortly after when girls caught my eye. But I still have a lot of rockets and engines. Sound like you had a great day with the grandkids. And that is very good, especially these days when you have to compete with the video games. :thumb:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Launched a hell of a lot of them, when I was young, My favorite build was the Starship Enterprise, it took a while to put that thing together, I think I got 4 launches out of it, before it got broke, but boy does that bring memories back.!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Launched a hell of a lot of them, when I was young, My favorite build was the Starship Enterprise, it took a while to put that thing together, I think I got 4 launches out of it, before it got broke, but boy does that bring memories back.!

I always liked the "X-Ray". For some reason I always thought that Estes Rocket was the neatest. But my all time favorite is the Nike Hercules Missile.

Sad to see how expensive rocket engines have gotten these days concerting they are merely black powder engines. Not so much for the individual cost of the engines as much as the "Hazard Fee" to have them shipped to you. Unless youngsters can buy them locally, I can't see how any kids can build rockets these days and launch them.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rockets were too expensive for me when I was a kid. I could barely afford ammo.

However I had a couple of crazy relatives in eastern Montana who got interested in building and launching rockets in the 50"s. After launching one that the Air Force tracked for over 25 miles they were given a stern warning and stopped their foolishness. At least with rockets. :D

sam60

Captain
After the Estes, try looking at these. They are actually more fun since they are bigger and easier to see. They also don't drift so far in wind.

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/

Great link, thanks Bruce. I looked at it at work today and stumbled upon a photo of a rocket that looked to be about 20' tall and had a scaffold type launch structure. I should have sent myself the photo, because I can't find it tonight. The kid will need to get a job if he wants to go beyond the Estes. ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Great link, thanks Bruce. I looked at it at work today and stumbled upon a photo of a rocket that looked to be about 20' tall and had a scaffold type launch structure. I should have sent myself the photo, because I can't find it tonight. The kid will need to get a job if he wants to go beyond the Estes. ;)
You can get different types of motors that have different types of exhaust. I have the rebuildable motors.
DCP_0992.JPG

A friend at work and his dad do those monster rockets.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Ah, the memories.

In middle school back in the Jurassic Era, I was a founding of a model rocket club. We went to an NAR convention outside Pittsburgh, and thus inspired, decided to host our own. It went on annually for quite a few years, and became fairly well known. Some designers even created models for the club but that was after my time.

sam60

Captain
He did a launch this afternoon & used an engine that I told him was for the dry lake bed only. Rocket lost. I have weeds he can dig to get another one.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's whats nice about the larger Aerotech rockets. They go higher but don't drift. They come down much faster.

With the Estes, I always cut a 2" hole in the top of the chute so they don't drift.

sam60

Captain
Good tip, Bruce. I never imagined that I'd be raising a 14 YO grandson, but since I am, I need to keep his mind engaged. Makes me a bit younger as well.

sam60

Captain
WE are raising the Grandson., Wife of close to 35 years does a lot more than I.

sam60

Captain
No Title

He's building his own rocket today. Wrapping paper tube fuselage. He asked me to make him some "fins". Thin end of wood shims installed a bit off kilter from what I had in mind. He's got about a pound of duct tape on it. Should burn up on the launch pad.

I let him move forward with it while he's still young and knows everything.

Attachments

• photo249424.jpg
    photo249424.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain
No Title

Went about 300' up...missed my car by 12'. No chute. I gave the kid some credit.

Attachments

• photo249429.jpg
    photo249429.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0