KILL Fire Ants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The finished product looks like a piece of coral ... Wonder what the cost of the aluminum would be per colony ...

ehenry

Commander
Acephate 97UP....it will kill the mound over night and it only takes a teaspoon sprinkled on top. The down side is the area where that mound is will smell like a rancid outhouse rotten egg poot for a few days. If its not killing the mound its making the ants move because of the smell.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I know you mentioned the torti that you have so, fence around mound to keep torti from it then pour Andro crystals on the mound.
you can watch the workers carry the stuff into the mound. next day no more fire ants. learned about Andro when I lived in FL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Too bad we can't import some Ant Eaters and cut them loose. But I am not sure they would eat fire ants unless they liked hot spicy food. :noidea:

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Too bad we can't import some Ant Eaters and cut them loose. But I am not sure they would eat fire ants unless they liked hot spicy food. :noidea:

I watched a couple of ant eaters when I was overseas and was amazed how they tore into a giant fire ant mount, I am talking about 9 feet tall and they destroyed it, they seemed to love the fire ants, I asked a local and he said, they are immune to the venom that we are so reactive to.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I watched a couple of ant eaters when I was overseas and was amazed how they tore into a giant fire ant mount, I am talking about 9 feet tall and they destroyed it, they seemed to love the fire ants, I asked a local and he said, they are immune to the venom that we are so reactive to.

Ha, maybe a rent out type business for a few of them. I'm in. :thumb:

No Kin Jones

Recruit
(from some page called "SFGUIDE")
Both soap and d-limonene, found in orange oil, kill fire ants on contact, according to research conducted by the Texas Cooperative Extension. But the best fire ant killer contains both orange oil and soap -- either horticultural soap or Dawn liquid dishwashing soap. Mix 1.5 ounces of orange oil and 3 ounces of the Dawn into 1 gallon of water, or add 0.42 ounces of horticultural soap and 2.11 ounces of orange oil to 1 gallon of water. Apply as a mound drench during early morning or late afternoon hours of the day, which is when the fire ants are most likely to be home.

I used a citrus based household cleaner degreaser and Dawn. On the third morning there were piles of dead ants on the mounds. And they stayed gone.

P.S. If you're feeling cranky & not too green,1/2 to 1 gallon of diesel works too. Don't burn it, let it soak in.

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Not sure if you have won the war, but there are mercenaries available. :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tim, its well past 90days since No704 was listed MIA and reported AWOL.

Seems he lost the skirmish.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.