KILL Fire Ants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody have a good process? Inter web suggests feeding them powdered grits then water. Workers feed the grits to the queen, add water and she pops.

Can't use chemicals as two torti live in the area.

Thanks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have heard of the grits thing but have never tried it ....The Georgia ice cream almost always end up on my plate anyway .. :hungry:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I use Diatomaceous Earth(Food Grade) powder on the ant beds. Stir them up and sprinkle the powder. They will go crazy and die. This stuff is ground up fossil shells; and gets in their joints. Gardeners use it on their plants to kill pests. I also use it on the dog; the fleas die quick. It is not harmless if it is Food Grade.On the package it says "Used in most animal feeds and many consumer products." Hasn't hurt the dog yet

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Molten aluminum will kill them and when you dig up the cast you'll have a cool sculpture too.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A lot of the potential answer to this question has to do with whether you want the grass or other foliage in the vicinity of the mound to die along with the ants. If you don't care or there is no grass at the mound, then boiling water is my preferred way. On the lawn, I use the fire ant killer granule stuff. But that's a chemical, and probably a pretty nasty one.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've been using Bayer Fire Ant powder found in most Lowes stores, and it works extremely well. However, I am not certain it can be used without any issue to any other animal or reptiles. I have lots of Anoles, Lizards and Skinks and lots of Chipmunks as well as lots of squirrels and they have no problems with it. You could go online and research it out though. JMHO!

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so we have to build a ant killer. Thinking a propane stand, pressure cooker. Need to make an injector that we can stab into the nest that would hook up to the blow off on the pressure cooker. Steam cook the little bustards.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Make the injector really long or they will scamper up the wand quicker than you can let go. Thousands of them!

When I was in Houston, my neighbor and I played the fire ant game. I would treat and the buggers moved next door. He would treat and they came back to my yard. I don't think we ever killed an ant, just kept them moving.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was thinking about 3' long. Here in phx the ground is pretty much solid deeper.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
If you don't mind killing some grass and getting the EPA on your back pour some gas on the mound and light them suckers up! Yes, I have done that a few times with very good results.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The gas thing doesn't work. Boiling water works, however kills grass. Chemicals work on them a bit. DE works a bit.

If anyone comes up with a sure fire way of killing the little buggers, they will be an instant Trillionaire

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just use my propane weed burner on them, couple of times get most of them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You have fire ants in Montana now? Crap, they are heading north.

We have had fire ants since I move here 20+ years ago, we don't have them suckers like they have in Texas, ours are a little less toxic!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I usually just run over em with the lawn mower ... I know it don't kill them but it makes me feel better ... :eyebrows:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I usually just run over em with the lawn mower ... I know it don't kill them but it makes me feel better ... :eyebrows:

I do the same thing. But, when I get to the mound I just sit there and lower the blades to really **** them off. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have heard a few guys take a shovel full from one mound and transfer it to another mound and via versa. Then the ant wars starts and they kill each other off. I have never tried this so I can't verify if truly works or not, but others says it does. :noidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.