Gardening

gm280

Supreme Mariner
While I don't have a vegetable garden per say, this is my garden.
IMG_0655-M.jpg
Every now and then I try to grow some vegetables, and get some as well. But obviously I don;t have the true green thumb yet. :eek:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I don't have one of the front handy and it boring anyway. The back is where it is happening.

our neighbors let me 'farm' outside the fence. This pic is from last year - the new garden is behind my little shed. The second barn is where they let me keep the mower and LoneStar in the winter. Plus my new windows but I'll start that thread later

The new garden area is outside the fence just behind my little shed. It goes to about halfway to the oak tree and about 12 feet out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
red, nice layout. Do you have any issues with deer and other animals liking your garden as much as you? :noideas:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No we've only seen deer a few times and one of our outdoor cats is now about twice as big as most of the (few) rabbits we see and he has found that they are easier to catch than birds. The woods are about 1/3 to 3/4 mile from us so the deer stick over there, plus a good amount of time the first field you see behind us is the racetrack for a pack of coyotes.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
forgot I had a buddy that came over with his new drone. I was out of town so my wife threw a party... This was a few weeks ago, the bermuda patches had not greened up yet.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
took a bowl over to mommas for our light brunch visit.

made a fancy presentation. The bag we get our vodka bottle in.....

and a shot of the big garden. A bit less than half still left.

Seeding tomato and brussel sprouts. We'll fill in the rest with those and a pumpkin of two. Plus I'm putting in some bush beans in between the corn rows.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Lookin' good Red, thanks for sharing!

Not that we have anywhere near as much room as you do - but all we ever did is feed the deer around here when we tried vegetables. That, plus the lack of time with growing kids in those years, we haven't done it in a while - but your posts are encouraging...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nice digs. With all those valleys I'd sure hate to try and remove snow off that roof......:lol:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Been in TN 9 years, biggest snow was 6" and it was windy. Prob most snow we've had stick was a couple inches.

GG, we stared inside the flower beds. Then to the raised three we have now, only a few square feet but you can pack a lot in them. Better dirt, better watering and easy to weed.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hmm, not posting well. I'll try again but cabbage and lettuce have all been eaten

dwco5051

Commander
DSC04600.JPGNotice the electric fence around my garden this year. Our first planting of cabbage and Brusselsprouts disappeared and were found shredded all around the garden. Even though we are in the center of 25 acres of woods and have lots of deer around they have never bothered the garden before. We finally identified the culprit as seen in the second picture. Our 9 month old Doberman pup who seems to be somewhat of a vegetarian. We only plant things our Amish neighbors don't grow as we get so much free produce from them.

DSC04595.JPG

Rick Stephens

Admiral
garden.jpg
I am all sorts of jealous at the moment. Here in Northern Idaho, at 3500 ft, we have had a couple inches snow in the last 30 days, lots of cold rains and not a lot of heat. Just a couple days near 80. My garden is just getting going. The corn is literally just peeking through. The tomatoes are in the foreground, just got trans'd out of pots into the soil. And unlike what looks like fairly easy deer proofing, we have to run 9 foot or better fences to keep the elk and deer out. I do have some huge compost piles cooking though :^)
garden2.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
That is a beautiful doberman. They're such refined looking dogs ... until they're rooting through your garden.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
dam rick what are you composting?

Was taught the three secrets to a green thumb - compost, compost and compost. Every year our stock produces a fairly large pile of horse and cow manure that I add some wheat straw to. This last fall I brought in a dozen 10 wheeler truck loads of cow manure from a rancher I do harvest work for, drive combine for him later in the summer. I roll the piles once a week and end up with the nicest garden mix around. We put everything we can into the compost including kitchen waste and garden clean out in the fall. A tree service sometimes brings by a load or two of chips. I have neighbors come by each year for a bit to spruce up their gardening. I guess I'm turning into the compost king. Whoohoo. Bow in my direction once in a while. I is royalty.