Gardening

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Shoot, around here there's no use most years to start planting until around Memorial weekend.... Many days left for frost at nite...

Tnstratofam

Commander
We don't plant till after the 15th of May here. We will plant tomatoes, peppers, green beans, squash, and cucumbers. We usually have some pumpkins that show up at the end of our garden from the ones we dumped there last fall. We plant potatoes and carrots at my dad's.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah when we have steak and broccoli and my wifegoes back for seconds it's not to get more steak....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah when we have steak and broccoli and my wifegoes back for seconds it's not to get more steak....

My wife doesn't like broccoli or cauliflower. My wife thinks cauliflower smells like sweaty socks. She's not big on veggies of any kind... Cooking some cauli up tonite with a venny roast.......

My garden has a nice coat of white on it. Will be 3 weeks b/4 planting, at least....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wow, can't hang with that.

BTW - cook Broccoli until it smells like someone farted; then it is done.

so been raining here like forever so kinda odd but working on my irrigation plans. Tired of dragging the hose around. We've got two areas, one along the fence with three little raised gardens and then since our neighbor has a tiller for his tractor i expanded the back 40 to about quadruple the size - maybe 40' x 10'.

for this year just ran hose along the fence and built these:

20170425_155757_zpsea8vpybu.jpg

20170425_160301_zpszwrhtl9i.jpg

20170425_162839_zps9j7g2bx9.jpg

I'll tap into the hose and just turn on at the main faucet and keep short hoses at each vertical to use in the specific area. I'll zip tie to fence for this year.

By telling the wife it is a trial run, she's more likely to let me do permanent next year....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and here is what we do with fresh lettuce; pairs well with fresh beef and fresh buns...

20170423_184446_zpsoaavwgzi.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
dug out a bunch of last years peppers to make room for this year. Hot/sweet relish. Great with all kinds of meat, especially grilled.

20170430_035940_zpsuydcoruk.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Pffft... Haven't had to mowed the lawn yet, let alone planted anything......

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok what started this thread was a celery butt. It was doing ok but went on vacation and our house sitter does well to feed herself, let alone the plants. So due to no water it dies.

I've tried a few more celery butts and all have tanked a bit after the transplant. I think I accidentally discovered that I needed more butt. The roots seem to come in better when in water, and this time after a short time of not looking great it now looks like a real plant.

the leaves have the most intense celery flavor you have ever had. Great garnish

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wife went to visit SIL last week when I was in Tampa with Swifty, We inherited a three year old Japanese Maple

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
not sure what I did wrong but my jalapeno seeds didn't take so some store bought ones. Three of those, a poblano and three sweet peppers.

The carpet of green is fancy skinny french radishes. Pretty good, not as spicy as the round ones.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cabbage is looking good. Couple more pepper plants, my wife didn't plant where I had placed them in other areas so now not sure how many of my nasturtiums seed will come up