Gardening

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Went on vacation to the folks on Lopez Island WA and our house sitter did not water any outside plants, so the celery that started this thread is dead.

But enough rain the garden made it fine.

Before we left we had to harvested the one pumpkin that made it. Roasted and mashed some, cut to cubes raw, froze all of it. We had help from our newest family member.

Okra is from the neighbor.

and second batch from the other plant

made a pot of spaghetti.

We made pepper jelly with those and ones we already had including the tabascos..

82rude

Rear Admiral
Years ago I planted Thai hot peppers,jalapeno and Jamaican hot peppers and just when they were ready my dads semi-retarded border collie ate the whole bunch!Shockingly enough he had no ill effects .Iwent through a stage back in my 30,s where the hotter it was the better it was.Isearched out the hottest sauces in the world .Love the picture of the blackberries.Icould and have eaten them tell I get sick,lol.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
redneck joe, Exactly what type fruit or vegetable is this hairy looking orange pumpkin looking thing? :noidea:

20160731_144925_zpsglaapgal.jpg

And how do you know when it is ripe to pick? :decision:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
thats funny. I cooked tonight, I'll post pics soon. Tomato tort. awesome stuff

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
anyone ever hear of rats eating carrots out of the garden? I had a petty good patch of carrots and now I have nothing but chewed off tops and the portion of the carrot above ground is eaten too! now i'm starting to find an occasional potatoe dug up with small bits missing, they don't seem to like them so much.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
anyone ever hear of rats eating carrots out of the garden? I had a petty good patch of carrots and now I have nothing but chewed off tops and the portion of the carrot above ground is eaten too! now i'm starting to find an occasional potatoe dug up with small bits missing, they don't seem to like them so much.
Dunno 'bout rats, but groundhogs, raccoons, and I believe skunk will eat any/all vegetables.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
we ain't got none of those, it has to be rats, squirrels or rabbits. i'm thinking rats because I've shot a couple earlier this summer with a pellet gun.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
second to last batch of peppers for jelly. I think I'll get enough for one more batch. A few Tabasco (lower right I'm letting get red for color), jalapenos and havasu. Got seven jars.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Here is our last harvest of Bell peppers.

We cut these up and freeze them to be used in chilli, stir fry, and other dishes.

Our tomatoes didn't do to well this year at all. We usually end up with a couple dozen quarts canned, but this year we only got less than 10. No luck at all with cucumbers or squash either.

We ended up with a good harvest of potatoes at my dad's, but pretty much everybody I've talked to around us have said they also didn't have a great harvest or garden this year.

Not enough rain and way to many 90' days I guess.

Gardening is still a way for me to destress, even when it doesn't have a huge yield

Hope everyone else had a good gardening season and a bountiful harvest.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
prepping / expanding the corn patch for next spring...

I think I'll plant a bit later, and stagger a week apart on about 20 plants each

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice hull of peppers there tnstratofam, I was doing pretty good on my crepe myrtles there for awhile. Then they decided to die. If I had more time to do a garden the proper way, I'm sure I could make things grow. But my good intentions peters out after awhile and things don't go so great after that. :eek:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
We planted all our seeds 10 days ago. Sweet corn, green beans , carrots, onions , cucumbers, and watermelon. Still have peppers , potatoes, and tomatoes to plant hopefully this weekend. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I planted two 25 foot rows of green beans and five 25 foot rows of sweet cornā˜ŗ If we have a good year we'll have plenty to eat fresh and can or freeze, plus some to give away

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
The strawberry plants we started last year are looking very healthy šŸ‘