Gardening

jbcurt00

Staff member
How long between picking the ears and eating them?

Exactly what variety of sweet corn?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
About 30 seconds raw and 20 min to the pot.

Dont remember just know i went extra gmo sweet. Love me some gmos....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We have a fencerow with some wild blackberries

This is about halfwhat we have

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So once again couldn't stop her. About two weeks early at a minimum but here is our harvest from two potato plants. Ate a couple raw with s n p

Last edited:

rlb81

Seaman
Some nice gardens! We have about 80 sq ft in raised beds, it's been a good growing season so far in NJ

IMG_20160706_063334941.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My neigbor who is wise in these things tells me it is too many weeds and not enough potassium. So this year I'm just going to cot off the cob and freeze for use in soups and stews.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My not sweet sweet corn. Cut it off the cob and got the vacuum sealer out. I'll use it for soups and stews. Probably anothe 50 ears out there

[a href="http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/joemckeehan1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160711_170252_zpsizli52ng.jpg.html"][/a]

Couple lbs og beans put up as well

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a wonderful batch of butternut squash - 'till a raccoon discovered the patch and chowed down....Ones I got were delicious.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I had a wonderful batch of butternut squash - 'till a raccoon discovered the patch and chowed down....Ones I got were delicious.
I've just learned to like that, might try it next year. does it run like a pumpkin?

just picked about 20 more not sweet corn and in a couple days will have about the same. all form a 7' x 20' space. Next year - potassium and more nitrogen and wait a couple weeks to plant.

so i'll be cutting of the cob and vacuum sealing of about 5 more cups. I do them in 2-3 cup portions.

now i'll need some corn recipes for this fall. Chowder is where I think I'll be heading mostly unless you all have any other ideas.,

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've just learned to like that, might try it next year. does it run like a pumpkin?

just picked about 20 more not sweet corn and in a couple days will have about the same. all form a 7' x 20' space. Next year - potassium and more nitrogen and wait a couple weeks to plant.

so i'll be cutting of the cob and vacuum sealing of about 5 more cups. I do them in 2-3 cup portions.

now i'll need some corn recipes for this fall. Chowder is where I think I'll be heading mostly unless you all have any other ideas.,

redneck, you can't make anything bad using corn can you? :noidea:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great looking garden Joe...this year our sweet corn and tomatoes and peppers aren't doing very good at all but having a bumper crop of potatoes, onions , carrots, and cucumbers.... maybe time for a soil sample?

rlb81

Seaman
Corn and black bean salad, quesadillas with corn, put it in some salsa, make your own tortillas....plenty of options!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
gm280 good point

brian4321 - yes, definitely. On the raised beds I bought the new wonderful awesome organic big box bags. Horrible. I've been nuking them wiht fertilzer and its starting to look better.

Gyrene - ok we have plenty of room just planning. I need to go get a pic of the pumpkin again - it even more huge. Unfortunately, its almost ripe I think.

rlb81 - yep, thought of those last night except the tortillas. We make our own already not sure I want to go that far back in the food making steps. Masa is pretty easy...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
last batch of not sweet corn, but we did find a few more that were sweet so we ate those with our steak

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
we also got a good batch of our kale but forgot a pic and i'm travelling next 12 days.