Gardening

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thought we could use a thread on this to brag and get ideas from others.

Turns out you can start a celery from the butt

A week in water

Then planted and two weeks outside.

Were doing another one, goin to let it root better in the water.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Then behind the shed the neighbor has let me takesome space

Storm knocked most of it down a couple weeks ago but i was able to stand it up and itseems to be ok.

Then we threw a couple pumkins over the fence last fall hoping we'd get one or two, we got abot 15 plants and letting the run wild. Counted 15 babies on it so far.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
raised gardens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but my potatos in the middle bed seem to be doing well. Got a few beans last night but puny plant

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
raised gardens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but my potatos in the middle bed seem to be doing well. Got a few beans last night but puny plant

Have you had the soil tested? I had a similar problem a few years back and after soil testing, learned that the pH was too high. That "locks up" the nutrients and doesn't allow the plants to uptake them from the soil even when fertilized. Added some water soluble Aluminum Sulfate to the soil and that really gave things a boost! I remember that on one occasion I had a single tomato plant that had over 50 tomatoes! And I had five plants that summer. Man, I got sick of tomatoes! So did my friends and neighbors. :lol:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No all bagged dirt, i think i neef to add some poop

Planted some rosemary last year looking good now. Nice to be able to go grab some.

And some dill and parsley

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Wd made a hot pickle tabasco sauce a couple years ago we use on our greens. On our last bottle so a new plant this year. Fun to grow if you've not done it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We also have a mini lime tree we occasionally get a lime out of. Been battling scale but i think we've won. Lots of new growth this year.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Third harvest.

Weve eaten some and frozen others. On the squash i slice them and freeze on a cookie sheet before we vacuum seal. Beans go sriagjt to the bag for freezing.

Corn is about done and we had a ppumpkin go from baseball size to over a basketball size in just a few days. More to come.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good looking veggies Joe. Our yard doesnt get nearly enough sun for a garden.

Steep hill side and bounded on 3 sides by 45-75ft trees, both pine and hardwoods, mostly not ours. And most of the summer, the sun tracks left and right just behind the house so the front yard is shaded 65%+ of the day

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Good looking veggies Joe. Our yard doesnt get nearly enough sun for a garden.

Steep hill side and bounded on 3 sides by 45-75ft trees, both pine and hardwoods, mostly not ours. And most of the summer, the sun tracks left and right just behind the house so the front yard is shaded 65%+ of the day

Well you've been here and know aint whole lotta trees close to us and the oaks I've planted wont be my problem as I'll be long dead before i have to worry about them.

Happy Independence Day folks. Please do not call it the fourth. We are celebrating a break from an authority who we didnt feel should tax us and I'll leave it there.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Happy Independence Day Joe!

Your garden is looking good. Ours is a little behind as we didn't plant anything untill the 15th of May to be sure we were out of danger of frost. Our squash is close to big enough for our first pull, and we have plenty of peppers and tomatoes on the vine.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have a small plot out about 15 x 15 with cucumbers zucchinis and 30 mater plants out, green onions and a rhubarb image_247426.jpg , and a few other things and its doing well, we can up most ever thing. i have no idea what all is in there the wife and daughter in law make those choices

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some really nice gardens here. This year I didn't even plant tomatoes. But we presently are propagating 12 cr?pe myrtle trees. Six called Dynamite (a very dark red colored) and six others that have a deep purple color. I don't actually know the breed. I cut the sprouts from the ground area and stripped the lower leaves off them. Then dipped them in some rooting hormone powder and into some Miracle-Grow potting soil in some cut down 2 liter soda bottles and watered them well and put clear plastic bags over the tops. Kind of like little hot houses. That was a few weeks ago, and I have to say they look like that are taking. Who knows. If they keep going, this fall we will transplant them where we want them to final be. Maybe I need to get into the vegetable gardening next year.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I miss having a backyard garden. Keep it up guys and enjoy the fruit of your labors. :thumb: