Another injury at the lake

alldodge

Staff member
Setting, Lake is 3 feet below full pool. There is a small rock island just off from the main land mass. The depth of the water between main and island is over 100 feet deep and gap is around 60 feet across. From the island further out to the main body is another 80 feet or so to a CAN buoy and this water is shallow and all rock. Folks that know the lake will stay clear of the whole thing. Even crossing in the deep area its like a blind curve. This was someone that didn't know or wasn't paying attention. Boat hit the rocks in the shallow area and two people were hurt.

Hope they will be OK

alldodge

Staff member
Update: got some more info on what happened. It was 1030PM and boat was cruising around 35 mph, no moon, a bit overcast, so its dark. Ran into the rock island and went up and over it to the other side. Said his gps didn't show the island. Guy was able to walk away, his wife was stat flighted out.

Not saying the lake because this is just things that happen on the water. No one needs to research and find out who the person was IMO, just a sad thing that could have been avoided

southkogs

Staff member
That sort of thing can happen real easily on the lakes here in TN ... Especially in the early part of the season where the pool level is still not full. Percy Priest will practically throw rocks at ya' if you don't know what you're doing ... or how to pay attention. I watched a fella' put a 30' Sea Ray into a rock pile last year. Only really messed up his drive, but I felt bad for the guy. He just didn't pay attention to the buoys.

A little recon goes a long way.

Hope the lady recovers quickly.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No one needs to research and find out who the person was IMO, just a sad thing that could have been avoided
It would be nice to know where this hazard exists so folks who don't know the lake might avoid the hazard. Otherwise, I don't see the point to your post.

alldodge

Staff member
The point is someone was hurt because they were operating a boat in unfamiliar waters and in and unsafe manner for current conditions, and not following navigation rules.

Traveling at 30 some mph in very dark conditions.
Relaying on a gps to identify obstructions (unknown if he had maps installed for the area)
Not following rules of the road for navigation. (CAN buoy which should have placed him between buoy and open water, he was between buoy and shore)

Edit: should probably also add the rock island is the size of 2 full size semi's

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Traveling at 30 some mph in very dark conditions.
That part is the worst. The lake I have my pontoon boat on has a 5MPH speed limit for just this reason. Even when I am on Lake Tahoe, which is a huge lake, I never run at planing speeds at night.