Nascar Race #13 - Coca Cola 600 - The End Of A Long Day of Racing

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Racing on Sunday starts on NBC at 7:30 AM with the Monaco F1 pre-race, followed by the Monaco Grand Prix. At 11:00 AM on ABC, the Indy 500 pre-race show with the Indy 500 at Noon. Then at 5:30 PM on Fox we have the Coke 600 pre-race and the Cup race starts about 6:15 PM. All times are Eastern.

78 laps/162 miles at Monaco, 200 laps/500 mi. at Indy and 400 laps/600 mi, for Charlotte. A grand total of 678 laps and 1262 miles of TV viewing. And 300 miles of X-Men racing on Saturday, too. We will have kinks in our necks. LOL Please no overtime at Charlotte! :eek The MRN weekend schedule;

coke 500.PNG

The Cup entry list has 40 drivers, so it's full and none of them will go home.

The weatherman has a chance of rain on Sunday. And a tropical disturbance is churning near the Bermudas and may cause some rain in the SE US over the holiday weekend. Every time I look at the Weather Channel, they are talking about a lot of rain. No idea if it will make it inland as far as Charlotte.

News and Notes
  • All-Star race - What can I say? Nascar lost their ducks, never mind having them in a row!
  • The Coke 600 will feature cars with patriot themes and and each car has the name of a fallen hero.
  • The Nascar Hall of Fame will be inducting 5 new members. In my mind Mark Martin and Benny Parsons are the most significant. Martin is the best driver never to win a Championship and Parsons did win in 1973, but he was one of the best race commentators after he retired from driving.
  • Rumors were floating around that Harvick was going to switch to Hendrick so he could stay in a Chevy. That was scotched when he signed a contract extension with SHR and will be driving a Ford beginning next year.
  • TV ratings - Both the Dover and All-Star races were down again.

iboats Fantasy Live
The Dover iFL race winner is 96SprintBB97Johnson. This is 96's first :first: of the year. Congrats!
Trackchicks Stars is still holding on to the overall lead.​

Don't forget to update your iFL roster before the race and good luck on this long holiday weekend.

Your soon to be bleary-eyed Humpty_Boater. GO PENS!

humpy.PNG

aspeck

Staff member
NASCAR is on hold ... all attention will be on the Pens tonight for their game 7. They gotta win this so they can win 4 more! And in other Pittsburgh News, Vogelsong is at the game today after getting his face broken by a pitch a couple days ago. He is a gamer! And Pirates pitcher, Gerritt Cole figured if the offense wouldn't help his struggling pitching today, he would help himself ... he is currently batting 2-2 for the day with 3 RBI's a home run and a double. Get on board the Cole Train (Cole 45)!

aspeck

Staff member
UGGGHHH! Why did they bring Schugel back up when Vogelsong went DL? Gets 2 batters out then gives up 2 singles, a walk, and a single, and 2 runs and we have a tie ballgame... Sorry Cole, he stole your win!

aspeck

Staff member
Harrison comes off the bench for a 2 out, two RBI double and the bottom of the 6th the 'Rats take the lead again ... Just keeping you up to date, GA, since you don't have Root Sports down there ...

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I watch (?) Gameday on MLB.com. Almost as good as being there, 'speck.

Cole had to help himself. :D But he loses the decision! :blue:

aspeck

Staff member
Rats bats break out in the later innings ... 3 outs away from the sweep of the Snakes ... 8-3 cushion going into the 9th. Can we get our "other" team to do this tonight?

GA_Boater

'Speck - You hijacked Humpty's thread.

GO PENS! LOL

The Buccos did have a big 8th inning

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Inspiration for the Penguins? The Bucs finish the Arizona sweep!

GA_Boater

Qualifying results for the Coke 600;

Truex Jr. wins Coke600 pole then Logano, Stenhouse Jr., Hamlin, Keselowski, Biffle, Johnson, Harvick, Edwards, Bayne, Menard and Elliott round out the top 12.

Back to Hockey in the hockey thread. ;)

GA_Boater

Larson lost another one in the final 2 laps. In the X-Men race he was leading by 1.5 seconds with 2 to go and caution came out. On the G-W-C restart he was overtaken by Logano and Hamlin. Then as he was trying to retake the lead, into the wall.

Allgaier was the highest X-Reg in 5th.

GA_Boater

Woke up to the Grand Prix of Monaco, lap 10 and raining/wet. Watched the rest of the race and it cleared up after a bit. Lewis Hamilton won the race.

Next up is the Indy 500 pre-game show at 11 and there is the chance of rain during the race :blue:

Charlotte doesn't have a chance of rain. It's pretty much guaranteed.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I watched a little of Monaco. I think Hamilton was the first to put slicks on?

What's the forecast for Indy? I'm taping it....

boatman37

Lieutenant
well i have a problem! both races today are on different networks and if i'm on the boat i can only record 1 of them. the channel has to manually be switched on the TV to change the recording. so guess i will have to record NASCAR and use the on-demand to watch the 500 tomorrow

GA_Boater

Splotchy I guess. ABC has a 3 1/2 hour window, 12-3:30 (11-2:30C), you might add a little extra recording time, Don't want to miss the checkered flag.

indy rain.PNG

FlaCowboy

Ensign
With 350,000 people at the Indy today I would think there would be lots of hot dog wrappers on the track...:D

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Splotchy I guess. ABC has a 3 1/2 hour window, 12-3:30 (11-2:30C), you might add a little extra recording time, Don't want to miss the checkered flag.

I added 1hr....... That's most I can go....