1969 Johnson 55HP stuck in forward

Hello, I have read a bunch of forums on this but to no avail. I was wondering if you may be able to give me a hand on solving my problem. Motor shifted perfectly but after removing the lower unit to change the water pump impeller it only goes in forward now. I can hear the solenoid moving inside the lower unit when i shift it and i am getting proper voltage on wires based on all the forums i have read. It just doesn't seem to be engaging anything. I have used type "c" lower unit and filled it to the top. I can start from zero drain everything and remove the lower unit if you have a solution. But not sure if there a specific way i should have placed the solenoid down into the lower unit? Is there a pin in the lower unit that the solenoid moves? Should the prop move freely when i take the lower unit off and have the solenoid out ? Any help would be appreciated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You are going to be better off asking in the Johnson section under motors above, so real knowledgeable in that section.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As stated elsewhere the motor must be running in order for it to shift.-------Not running it stays in forward all day long !