Any bird nerds out here...........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks bonz. That vid looks just like the one pic I have from the back. Cooper's was topping my list too. But, I wasn't completely sure..... In my book they say they are rare. But the book is from the 90's. Maybe their population has come back.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Coopers are actually becoming quite common in the Northern tier these days, 20 years ago, I didn't see any of them, these days I am seeing at least 1 or 2 a day, of course our eagles are becoming very prevalent now a days, normally I will either have bald or a golden picking off ground squirrels ever day.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The picture I'd posted back a few weeks ago of the one sitting in the tree outside my living room window was also a Coopers as best I can tell. The tell-tail is the barring and the length of the tail feathers. Best I can tell is that there are only 4 hawks native to Wisconsin. The Red Tail, Harlan's, Red Shoulder and the Cooper's. The American Kestrel isn't a hawk.

The Red Tail, Harlan's and Red Shoulder are Buteo's and the Copper's is a Accipiter. Buteo's are stouter and have shorter tails while the Accipiter's are thinner and have longer tail feathers. The Cooper's main pry is also small birds!

I actually find raptors very interesting and beautiful birds to watch. In the past 10 years down here we are seeing more and more Turkey Vultures. Ugly birds but I love to watch them soar!

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
Here is a breeding pair I have been watching at work they are Coopers hawks waiting to see the little ones fly away hopefully.

MRS

Commander
Update on the Cooper family at my work. About two weeks ago they were on the ground three of them here is a photo of one cutie little guys or gals.