Any bird nerds out here...........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
.......... besides me?????

Can someone identify this hawk? It's "about" 14" long, give or take....... And it thinks other birds are tasty. I live in the very northern parts of WI. Thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Looks a lot like a Coopers Hawk, we have quite a few around here, they like to grab the ground squirrels.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
it's not a perrigonn hawk or whatever it is called is it? they have been bringing those back around here for a while. they like to eat other birds

WIMUSKY

Staff member
GA - I have the field guide, Birds of North America by Nat Geo.....

jb - definitely a possibility. Some look so much alike....I don't think it's a Kestral either...

MT - I was thinking Coopers too, but, it could be a Broad Wing.

It was cool to see nature at work. It was there for 1hr until a raven scared it away, picked up what was left and flew away... He didn't mess around... It was only 20ft from the house...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Bruce - That's pretty cool. I think it's too big for what I had and it doesn't have the yellow eye with the black pupil. I verified in my book the different phases......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce - That's pretty cool. I think it's too big for what I had and it doesn't have the yellow eye with the black pupil. I verified in my book the different phases......
I was reading that the eye colors change over time.

http://www.hawkwatch.org/blog/item/864-eye-color-in-raptors

This stuff is fascinating to me as well. We sit out on the porch up at Big Bear and see a lot of different birds. Way more than what we see at home.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There, fixed it for you, Bruce ...

Good one....

I was reading that the eye colors change over time.

http://www.hawkwatch.org/blog/item/864-eye-color-in-raptors

This stuff is fascinating to me as well. We sit out on the porch up at Big Bear and see a lot of different birds. Way more than what we see at home.

Yeah, most immature hawks have the yellow eyes, kinda like Art's :). But according to my book it looks like Swanson's are dark, even the young ones..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This guy's little brother?
big bird.PNG

:peep:

Attachments

• big bird.PNG
    big bird.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

One more problem ID'ing some birds is juvenile colors change as they age. Bald Eagle juvies don't have adult plumage until they are 4 or 5.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I spent most of the day, watching a turkey hen and her 8 newly hatched chicks pick the bugs up in my yard, noticed them about 10 this morning and they just finally melted back into the trees.

GA_Boater

I spent most of the day, watching a turkey hen and her 8 newly hatched chicks pick the bugs up in my yard, noticed them about 10 this morning and they just finally melted back into the trees.

MT - Too bad they don't have a hankering for packrats!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well must have been a rough night for Momma Turkey, she had 8 chicks yesterday and showed up with only 2 this morning, she might end up not raising any this year.