New to boating with big dreams

lonestar1017

Recruit
Hi everyone. I am new to boating. Honestly do not have one yet. But, I have been looking into getting a boat to live on. Have a plan mapped out to get one. Was hoping to get some education through experienced boaters to help avoid costly pitfalls and bad choices. Maybe make some friends along the way. Been hitting everything I can find boat related from free boats that need a little tlc to inexpensive boats. Sailboats, cabin cruisers. Lots of options out there but again I have no experience to draw on. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome and appreciated.

lonestar1017

Recruit
Thanks. Probably the best good advice. And the link you provided will be helpful. I will read it and learn. Thanks again.

southkogs

Staff member
Sailboat - Houseboat - Cruiser ... each VERY different from another.

What kind of water are you going to be living on? Just you, or are there more?

Welcome aboard.

lonestar1017

Recruit
At this point in my big dream, I am looking at the independence of the open ocean. As for my boat choice, I like the advantage of free propulsion of wind, with an engine as a backup if needed. On the other hand I like the living space afforded by some of the cabin cruisers I've looked into like the Chris Craft Corinthian. When I do get to the point of actually buying a boat I won't have a great deal of money to work with. While I understand the expense of maintenance, I also have come to understand that living on a boat is relatively cheap depending on choices made. ie being anchored rather than moored somewhere. Producing my own electric via solar/wind/generator. To reiterate, I have no experience in boating, so any advice in setting a good course is a priceless value to me and is greatly appreciated.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
sounds like you wanna be a pirate,... Well me too.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
new boater in the open ocean on any kind of vessel will be a bit challenging. Have you been on boats?

southkogs

Staff member
I agree with Joe. Walk before you run: Boats aren't necessarily devastatingly expensive, but at the same time if you're not fully aware of what you're doing you can get into a money pit fast. If I were truly to live full time on board a boat, I would begin preparing to drop nearly $100k or just for the boat.

Sailing in and of itself is totally different than running a powered boat, regardless of size. What about starting with something you could weekend on for a while and see if you really like it?

Bondo

Staff member
Was hoping to get some education through experienced boaters to help avoid costly pitfalls and bad choices.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... A couple things,....

#1,.... A Free boat is usually the most expensive boat you can buy,.....

#2,.... If ya find a boat with an I/O drive, DON'T buy an OMC,....

Mercruiser or Volvo are Ok, but DON'T buy a Mercruiser with the 470 motor, nor a Volvo with the 2.3l Volvo motor,.....

lonestar1017

Recruit
I am in the process of looking into an inexpensive small sailboat that I can use on a local lake to gain some hands on experience. I have been on a boat but very briefly and so long ago as to say not really. Good thing for the cushion of time to temper enthusiasm and learn. Pirate? no lol but I do seek the allure of isolation, independence and self sufficiency. I don't ever believe one has the right to survive at the expense of another. Again thanks to all who responded. I check here regularly now so any advice, suggestions are appreciated. If there are any education youtube videos you think would be helpful I eat youtube videos like candy(ie I watch a lot to learn). Oh would really appreciate if anyone knows of a live chat forum where I could talk with experienced boaters maybe get a bit of mentoring.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I swear, this is the same conversation I had with my sister and her husband 2 months ago. They got it in their heads that they'd like to buy a 40-footer and do a seasonal 'commute' via the ICW from Michigan to the southeast states, living aboard the boat year-round. No personal boat ownership experience and limited exposure to boats. Nearly all of their savings would be used to buy an older one in decent condition. Ongoing, they believe that the money they save in rent will be more than enough to support the boat.

My short answer was, 'You don't even know how much you don't know'

I think it's great that you've decided to test the waters in a small boat. Terrific start. Now, get some REAL education, and NOT via youtube. US Power Squadrons and US Coast Guard Auxiliary both offer basic boating courses. Take one, and do it in a classroom setting near where you live and boat. Don't know about USCGA, but if you decide to join a chapter of USPS, you're open to dozens of additional advanced courses in seamanship, piloting, navigation, marine electrical systems, engine maintenance... the list goes on and on.

In addition to iboats, join forums dedicated to large cruisers, live-aboards, houseboats, etc. and pose some of your questions and concerns there. The folks here are a truly terrific bunch, but few if any of us own really big boats, or live aboard for extended periods of time.

Keep in touch with us, and ask as many questions as you can think of. Good luck.

My .02

Last edited:

lonestar1017

Recruit
Thankyou for the information. I immediately went to both USPS and USCG auxiliary to get course information. Though not required, I am signing up for the boat safety course. In my mind my course is set. The time I have before getting a boat will be spent getting as much education as I can. As to your suggestion of joining a boating forum, I would appreciate if you could provide some suggested locations for these forums. I am looking but haven't found a lot. Again I appreciate the advice provided. If I may ask, what was the outcome of the conversation with your sister and husband? Did they get a boat and do as planned or...?

If anyone actually lives on their boat would appreciate a conversation. Thanks.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Thankyou for the information. I immediately went to both USPS and USCG auxiliary to get course information. Though not required, I am signing up for the boat safety course. In my mind my course is set. The time I have before getting a boat will be spent getting as much education as I can. As to your suggestion of joining a boating forum, I would appreciate if you could provide some suggested locations for these forums. I am looking but haven't found a lot. Again I appreciate the advice provided. If I may ask, what was the outcome of the conversation with your sister and husband? Did they get a boat and do as planned or...?

If anyone actually lives on their boat would appreciate a conversation. Thanks.

They put it on hold, at least for the time being. Frankly, I hope they can the idea permanently as I don't believe either of them is suited for it. For them, it's a romantic notion with zero insight behind it. I think they'd be in for a lot of heartache as they see their (limited) finances eaten up by things they haven't even imagined. But that's them, not you.

As for the forums, you need to search. I know they're out there, but I don't belong as I don't participate in those activities.

Last edited: