Zebra Mussel help

1Hoboat

Recruit
Hi all. We are looking at a new infestation at our lake this summer. Since we leave our boat in the water all summer, I need to try to do something to control the little buggers from attaching to the hull, and entering the engine/lower unit.
I am considering a couple of options:
1. Throw a bag of softener salt into the slip under my boat. Maybe the potassium chloride will repel or kill them. Probably not great for the water
2. Attach a tarp to the dock, and after docking the boat, pull the tarp under the hull and attach to boat with bungee straps. This way the tarp will be tight (fairly tight) against the entire hull/bottom of boat that is in the water. The hope is that the ZMs will attach to the tarp, not the hull. I plan to make the tarp long enough to cover the boat hull and lower unit. This should protect everything. Also planning to do an engine flush before docking the boat for any long periods of time to flush the ZMs out of the lower unit

Also considering, with my proposed tarp method, to pour a diluted bleach solution (maybe a gallon) on top of the tarp so it will kill any ZMs that happen to be between the tarp and the hull.
I can't put in a boat lift or ramp, so any thoughts on these options?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

The boat lift is the best protection, but since this is not an option, they suggest anti-fouling paint. The good think about paint which is ablative is as you use the boat the paint will slowly dissolve away. As it ablates anything attached to it will fall off. Paint the drive also

Since you cannot raise the drive out of the water, you need to run the motor twice a week, the hot water kills the ZM.

Only other suggestion is put closed off muffs on the boat under the water on the drive to try and seal off the intake holes.

Here is a WI doc
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/invasives/fact/pdfs/ProtectYourBoat.pdf

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I've seen people struggle with the ZM on lake Michigan for 25 years.
Really only 3 effective options.

A lift, a trailer, or a boat with a closed cooling system and bottom paint.

Bondo

Staff member
1. Throw a bag of softener salt into the slip under my boat. Maybe the potassium chloride will repel or kill them.
to pour a diluted bleach solution

Ayuh,.... Don't pollute yer lake with chemicals,.... Period,......

Lake Ontario is fulla zebra mussels,.....

I find the best way to fight 'em, is Use yer boat,.....
That'll keep 'em off the runnin' surfaces,......

As for the drive, 'n stuff hangin' off the transom, once ya pull the boat in the fall, they die,....
Power wash the shells off in the spring, 'n start over again,....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Off topic but glad to see Bondo and roscoe are still around! Whats up guys!!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm doin' well, hope you are too,....

I usually run outa time before I get down here to DC,....

Still a postin' fool in the I/O sections though,.....

'n bein' a Fisherman, I kinda go Off, when I see such lame brained ideas such as the Op in this thread,.....

When zebra mussels 1st showed up, they were supposed to be the end of the Great Lakes,.....

Now, they're barely a nuisance,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hit a sand bar or two and the zebra mussels come off the hull. I have heard of people trying to wax their outdrive or prop...... It doesn't work.

Bottom paint, pull boat often, hit with pressure washer often.