Fort McMurray

82rude

Rear Admiral
THINKING of the people of Fort McMurray .80,000 plus evacuated from this northern alberta town as wildfires creep into the town threating to destroy the hopes and dreams of 80,000.

angus63

Captain
The coverage I saw this morning was heartbreaking to hear the residents speak of their losses. Hoping they stay safe and recovery is quick.

aspeck

Staff member
Heard an interview by the fire chief ... he was so devastated. It is very sad, they need our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Yikes! another northern Alberta town on fire. 2 years ago it was Slave lake.
The line of evacuates heading south is huge, and FT ST John BC area has another fire heading towards the Alberta border.
temperature has been 32c for the last few days, way to hot for this time of year especially that far north.

dozerII

Admiral
Over 1600 homes gone already, very sad indeed. Thoughts and prayers going out to all on the evacuees.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
My heart goes out to the people of ft Mc. On flip side it's nice to see so many Albertans/Canadians stepping up to help. Tons of hotels offering free rooms, restaurants offering free food etc.

dozerII

Admiral
Here's a very scary video of people trying to get out of the city.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
After being through 3 fire scares in the last 20 years, the last one started by careless loggers, they certainly have my thoughts, the closest it has been to us is about a mile a few years ago and it is very scary, your thought process changes and your fear factor goes way up.

Be safe folks, I have been there and if I could be there, you would have every once of strength I could muster to help you out!

dozerII

Admiral
Just got an update from the weather net work on the fire, they are saying from Wednesday at noon till noon today the fire has grown from 25000 acres to 210,000, and there is no rain forecast for over a week.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Interface fires- these are the forest fires that seem to get a lot of towns. if the town stops at the tree line there never seems to be a big enough buffer zone thus allowing the fire to jump from the trees to the buildings very fast and we have all seen the pictures of the sparks cascading across the streets like a wave.

I hope other towns/citys are going to see this as a wake up call

aspeck

Staff member
The firefighter in me just puckers at the pictures and videos coming out of Ft Mac ... I don't know how they have managed to keep from catastrophic lose of life there! The speed of the fire, and the volatility of the movement has everyone on edge and the firefighters are not able to make a serious attack because of the enormity of it, and the changing wind patterns. The heat is beating them back also. Part of me wishes I could be there helping and another part of me says, nope, I am fine where I am! Am definitely praying that all have the smarts to evacuate early instead of the "last minute" and people don't try to "ride it out," because they put themselves and the first responders in danger. They need to think big picture instead of their own little world, which is sometimes hard to do. Also praying for the firefighters and first responders that are doing all they can to save life and property. It is such a horrible situation.

Last edited: