Smoke (For NASCAR fans)

aspeck

Staff member
Well, looks like Tony was "playing hard" according to Don Prudhomme, and went missing on the dunes, made a jump a little too hard, busted up his back, needs surgery, and could be out his last year for the first 3 months. Loved what The Snake said about Tony the day after his injury when asked how he looked, "He needs a shave and a bath."

Sounds like it was a bunch of them running in the dunes that day ... The Snake, The Bif, Jeff Gordon, Ray Evernham, Rusty Wallace.

There goes the Daytona 500, there goes several of the events planned to honor Tony. Never a dull moment in NASCAR, but when Tony retires, there will be a fewer "moments."

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I heard about that, some say he should cool his jets while he's still racing. My thoughts, the guy's gotta live too. Stuff happens......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not a good way to start your retirement cruise by falling off the gangplank. I hope he only misses 3 months as some are reporting. He could do a Shrubby - If Nascar waives the Chase rules.

I haven't heard of any planned honors for Smoke like Gordon got last year.

aspeck

Staff member
I guess the surgery is to repair a burst fracture of the LI vertebrae. OUCH! That was a hard landing on sand, to bottom out the shocks and what little seat cushion there is in those sand cars to fracture the vertebrae.

As for the year long festivities, I heard that JGR had several things planned to honor him for his years with them. Did not hear any details other than different events at different tracks all year long. Chevy has some plans also, but I have not heard them made public yet. Tony has requested not a lot of fanfare, to just him go quietly.

Daytona has always held a soft spot to Tony ... Dale Jarrett seems to be hoping that he will come back and race Daytona in 2017. Jeff Burton and Kyle Petty were talking about who would "fill in" for Tony in his absence. Would it be Clint Bowyer? Would it be David Ragan? Would it be an unknown driver? They both agreed whoever it was, it would have to be someone with a strong tie to Chevrolet.

GA_Boater

Bowyer signing with whoever it is after MWR folded for a holding pattern until Tony retired, would put them in a bind at this late date. He isn't a strong Chevy guy either, mostly been in the Toyota camp.

Here is SB Nation's speculative take on possibilities. I liked the Mark Martin and Jeff Burton tweets.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have heard that they have been talking to Jones, although not a chevy guy, he has the ability to adapt pretty quickly and is a good young driver. They were saying that the surgery has already been performed and he will be starting rehab in a couple of weeks, I know a bunch of the talking heads have sure been speculating on what the drivers should be able to do when not driving, but they seem to forget, Tony is not just a driver, he also is a car owner! Kind of hard to tell him no, you can't do that!

GA_Boater

Erik Jones is an up and comer. After the Truck Championship last year, he's in full Xfinity mode now with Gibbs. Running X-Men and filling in full time for Tony could be a tough act. I guess it's up to Gibbs and Jones if approached.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In the position that Jones is in right now, If I were that little guy sitting on his shoulder I would tell "stick with your plan" but time will tell, having the opportunity to step into a big time ride for even a few races could be tough to say no to.

GA_Boater

Gordon could go for it. A no risk deal unlike the past 20 some years. But will he come out of retirement and how is his Fox deal structured?

boatman37

Lieutenant
i would think that the network would let gordon do it if he had an in-car camera and did commentary, which might be hard at 200MPH. but i don't think gordon will do it. maybe 1 race but not 3 months. it sounded pretty clear to me that he was done racing.
that being said i think it will be bowyer. i think they will make a deal with his new team to 'buy him out' for the first few races.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
I guess the surgery is to repair a burst fracture of the LI vertebrae. OUCH! That was a hard landing on sand, to bottom out the shocks and what little seat cushion there is in those sand cars to fracture the vertebrae.

Tony has packed on some pounds since he broke his leg...maybe he should have used a "heavier" shock package...:facepalm::D

boatman37

Lieutenant
tony actually lost quite a bit of weight over the winter. on a new diet and working out. looks like he lost 20 or 30 lbs. he said he has been eating about 1700-1900 calories a day

nlain

Commander
The article I read said that as Tony was being loaded on the helo he looked back and said, they better invite him next year.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Gordon could go for it. A no risk deal unlike the past 20 some years. But will he come out of retirement and how is his Fox deal structured?

Mikey still runs the plate races......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I seriously doubt that Gordon would do it, just after such a fan fair over his retirement last season, I remember when he first announced his retirement, he said, he might run a few races and by the end of the season it was, I am done and not getting into a car ever again, so time will tell, but I seriously doubt it. Although he would be a good fit in Smokes car.

GA_Boater

Mikey still runs the plate races......

Sure not competitively! That's over since MWR folded.

I seriously doubt that Gordon would do it, just after such a fan fair over his retirement last season, I remember when he first announced his retirement, he said, he might run a few races and by the end of the season it was, I am done and not getting into a car ever again, so time will tell, but I seriously doubt it. Although he would be a good fit in Smokes car.

Pretty sure you got it, MT. The only track Gordon mentioned was Martinsville as a slim possible place he would race a Cup car and as the end approached, the door kept closing.

The first practice is Friday for the Unlimited and I can't find an entry list. The one on Nascar for the 2016 race has Gordon in the 24 car, so he can't drive for Smoke. :rolleyes: http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-...s/2015/daytona-500.raceResults.entryList.html