History Channel Curse of Oak Island

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Anyone watching this ? If so do you think there is really something down there ?
Other than being so repetitive I do enjoy the show ...
Isn't this in TC's neck of the woods ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I think it's interesting, I first read about it many years ago, so when they said it would become a series I hoped it wouldn't turn into a marketing joke to get ratings like many of the other shows have. It's been OK so far, but yes, they tend to stretch things out and then repeat it a few times so they have full hour long show.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Watching it now. DVR'd from last nite. It is interesting. My wife thinks someone found the treasure 100yrs ago and kept their mouth shut............. It's fascinating what was supposedly built under ground eons ago. All the water traps and such.... We've been following it.... Not all the equipment they use right down to the #2 shovel are all new. Think CAT has a big stake in the show.....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Um, spoiler alert, last nite had some interesting 'discoveries'

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What did they find? An old chamber pot?

Not a fan.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think its a challenging premise, and if CAT and History Channel arent footing a huge chunk of the bill, somebody needs to slap the damn silly right outta all those guys heads.

That 1 guy basically bulldozed 30 or 40ft off most of the island and destroyed nearly all the 'known' landmarks in the 40s or 50s.....

Thought the 'Roman' sword fiasco was funny....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What did they find? An old chamber pot?

:pound: Maybe it belonged to Columbus .. And the Roman sword thing was kinda funny ...
I read somewhere that the multi level original hole may have been from natives mining clay then was filled back in ...
Not sure how they used to mine for clay though ...

foodfisher

Captain
Because of all the disturbances in the past, I believe there will be no fortunes found until they're allowed to open pit mine. It'll all be just interesting drama.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Spoiler alert if someone still haven't seen the season finale yet. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<10x is a bust. The cross is interesting, but...... And way back when, 3 kids found 3 treasure chests and each kept one. Maybe that's what these current boys have been looking for...... Previously the whole island was pretty much ripped to shreds. I would think if anything significantly was found, it would be in the news....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, natural formation wasnt the answer they were looking for at the bottom of 10X. Now they suspect the heavy silt layer on the bottom of 10X may have buried whatever there is to find. They want to pump it dry and remove the silt. :facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, natural formation wasnt the answer they were looking for at the bottom of 10X. Now they suspect the heavy silt layer on the bottom of 10X may have buried whatever there is to find. They want to pump it dry and remove the silt. :facepalm:

That's right. Let's spend some more money. For some reason they can't get away from 10x. Rick has a problem with walking away.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the body like shape they recorded on the floor is the remains of a Sasquatch .... :D
We need to know so hopefully they will pump it out ...

GA_Boater

Some day the Lagina brothers will be directing the crews from their Hoverounds and shuffling to the bank in walkers. :facepalm:

Just like Naked and Afraid on Discovery, you don't see much! :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Uh, anybody got some lime? I think this topic is starting to turn....

I'll bring the big hefty garbage bags, who's bringing the duct tape?

jkust

Rear Admiral
My wife hates that show so much while I've gotten suckered in a time or two. It is the joke in our house that if we can't agree on a show and she tries turning a Housewives show on, I will threaten Oak Island. Seriously though, how do those two guys pay to fund all of the searching?

GA_Boater

Marty is the money man. Google shows he has more than one iron in the fire. Rick is a retired postal worker.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I didn't see this particular showing, but I has seen other shows about that place. At what point does the outlay of money become more then the possible find? I mean if it that profitable, go for it instead of fiddle farting around. If it isn't that profitable, stop wasting money on it. IDK. Proof once again, some people have more money then senses. :noidea:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Marty is the money man. Google shows he has more than one iron in the fire. Rick is a retired postal worker.

And that's why Rick wants to keep going and completely exhaust all avenues on 10x before moving on. Heck, he's spending his brothers money. I'm sure there are other investors too......

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I didn't see this particular showing, but I has seen other shows about that place. At what point does the outlay of money become more then the possible find? I mean if it that profitable, go for it instead of fiddle farting around. If it isn't that profitable, stop wasting money on it. IDK. Proof once again, some people have more money then senses. :noidea:

When the TV producers decide they don't want to spend money on shows like this is when the effort slows to a stop. At this point I'm sure the sponsors and Chanel are funding a good portion of it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When the TV producers decide they don't want to spend money on shows like this is when the effort slows to a stop. At this point I'm sure the sponsors and Chanel are funding a good portion of it.

Yea, I guest so as well. When I watch that place years ago, I could see how a serious searcher would come in there and go after the treasure with some serious ideas and equipment. Mankind can do pretty much whatever he puts his mind to. But that wouldn't make for much intrigue and the show has to go on...and on...and on. Otherwise, how can you make a TV series. :eek: