Well now I did it, jump in with both feet, wife thinks I am nuts!!!!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I decided it would be fun to build a few guns, and ordered a 5 pack of 80% lowers for AR 15's today, my wife thinks I am loosing it and basically said, she will be thrilled when winter is over so I have something to do besides read websites about boats and guns!

:eek:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I absolutely love the idea!:rockon:

Although I should warn you I'm real good at encouraging other people to spend money on their projects. :rolleyes:

You know the whole living vicariously thing.:D

Seriously though looking forward to your builds as the AR platform is my favorite. Even though I only own one and it's basically just a slightly modified version of the M16 I carried in the service.

Oh yeah and my wife says the same thing about being ready for warmer weather so I'll get out of her hair.:eek::D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had to do something today, I ran the darn diesel plow truck out of fuel last night, you know how hard it is to start a diesel when it is 16 degrees outside and you ran it out of fuel!, then I had to buy 2 new batteries for it today, that was money I didn't want to waste on something I needed, I would have rather wasted it on something I didn't need!

ehenry

Commander
You wife needs to take a step back......theres a whole lots of worse things you could be doing that would get me admonished by the mods here if I were to even mention them.

I had to point that out to my sister when she started barking about the bro-n-laws boat and how much fishing gear he has. She thumped her bible and said it was sinful for him to have all that he has. I told her there were way more sinful things he could be doing but when he is not home hes working, fishing or hunting. She changed her tune real quick.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The wife is right!

I better read more than the thread title, but still. :rolleyes:

You could order 5 wood boat kits to balance things. How dare the truck run out of fuel and make you spend money on things you need. Those two batteries could be a small boat kit. :lol:

I'm not into guns, but AR's and/or build kits come in 5 packs now? I better stick to boats and old English motorcycles. :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Next you will be looking at has piston conversions

alldodge

Staff member
On a budget with building a motor but building 5 AR's is OK. Got me scratching my head on this one.

My wife just says if we need it or you think you can make some money from it go for it. Did I tell ya I love this gall :D :D

Hence the reason I'm bidding on some more heavy equipment

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
AllDodge, I am looking for a Bulldozer! I told the AR parts are less expensive! LOL

What's a budget?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I used to design parts for Osprey Defense (started by the owners of the company I worked at. Never did find a need to fire off 5000 rounds without cleaning myself

alldodge

Staff member
AllDodge, I am looking for a Bulldozer! I told the AR parts are less expensive! LOL

What's a budget?

Woops, my bad, I was thinking Scott

Yep your the gun dude. I'm bidding on a D7 and a JD track loader from the SeaBee's with less then 200 hours

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The wife is right!

I better read more than the thread title, but still. :rolleyes:

You could order 5 wood boat kits to balance things. How dare the truck run out of fuel and make you spend money on things you need. Those two batteries could be a small boat kit. :lol:

I'm not into guns, but AR's and/or build kits come in 5 packs now? I better stick to boats and old English motorcycles. :D

Awe GA, you can buy AR's in many different types of packs, 5 packs are pretty common, I have seen some 25 packs for sale, as long as you have to do the final work yourself, the ATF don't seem to even pay attention to them, they are the leggos of the gun world!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
FYI....ATF does pay attention. Orwellian Big Brother is always paying attention

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
FYI....ATF does pay attention. Orwellian Big Brother is always paying attention

Really hard to track something without a serial number! Of course, I worked for the government for 30 years so I really don't worry about it. In addition, I have a FFL/SOT to manufacture, so I know I am on their radar! My partner and I manufacture a few suppressors every year.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Awe GA, you can buy AR's in many different types of packs, 5 packs are pretty common, I have seen some 25 packs for sale, as long as you have to do the final work yourself, the ATF don't seem to even pay attention to them, they are the leggos of the gun world!

That says it all. LOL

southkogs

Staff member
Shoot trap on Saturday, think "Gee a over/under with a 27" barrel would be nice ..." Run to wally-world on Sunday, and they have a Ruger mini-14. Think, "oh, a mini-14 would be cool to play with ..." Drive past Barrett Firearms on Monday, think " ... a .460! (make cave-mannish grunting sounds)" Read the forums on Tuesday and think, " 5 ARs would look so cool in the gun rack ..."

I'd better run by the bank and have 'em give me my balance out loud, just to toss some water on the fire.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
What's a budget?

That's what you can't do if you leave your trailer draw bar in the receiver too long during the winter.
With all the salt they use around here, it's not too long before you can't budget.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW MT guy, seems we have very similar ideas. I am presently looking to buy a five pack as well, I mean within a day or so. Where did you order from? I am probably going to buy the five pack with milling plates. And it those plates are not steel. I will manufacture some steel inserts at all the drill holes so it stays in spec forever. :thumb:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
He GM, I ordered mine from a place called Ares Armour, they had them in stock a lot of other places are on back order right now, I purchased a 5 pack of ones that had all ready been anodized black, I wanted ones that the magazine pocket had already been machined, I will pick up a drilling or router template in a couple of days, I want to look at these in person to decide which will be the best way to go, I know I could send them to my buddy and he would do the machine work on them, but I really want to do these on my own to see how it goes, I guess as the wife says, I am board right now so have to figure out something to do with my hands!

I was in our local independent gun shop the other day and was very surprised at some of the information I overhead, ghost guns around here have taken off in the last few days because of the situation that happened in S. Oregon last week, some of the people I live around are very scary people!

Last edited: