Anyone here autocross?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
So, since I got my 2014 Chevy SS, I've thought of auto crossing it. I've always been a quarter mile guy, but since I don't have any tracks close I thought of checking out auto cross. I know I'll get answers just going to watch the first event, but does anyone know much about it? What class would I be running in? Is there anything special I'll have to do to my car to run like tires? Anything I can do to protect the car? Anything that may damage the car during the run? Any opinions will help. The car is not a daily driver and just a fun toy. I do want to keep it nice, but I bought it to have fun with.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used to autocross. ran a 1998 Jetta GLX. corded more than a few sets of tires. other than running Khumos, stainless exhaust, and solid urethane motor mounts, the car was stock. I worked with a bunch of members of WAI, so I ended up getting the bug.

depending on where you are, there are many local and regional clubs, as well as the SCCA clubs. you can look up the rules and classification for your car.

your racing, this is the safest racing you can do since it is you, a bunch of cones and a timer. protection for you is important. if you want to protect your car, wrap it in a diaper and pack it away in a vault. you will get cone scuffs, you will damage tires, you will eat thru brakes and clutches.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I used to do autocross about 20 years ago, in a souped up RX-7 that I had, I did buy a Ferrari and my wife said, don't even think about it! So I sold that car!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
fwiw, older Miatas with a 1.8 liter transplant are cheap to build for ES class and are very competitive. first gen RX7's are also very low cost and competitive. not sure if your SS would be in FS or which class.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
It sounds like a lot of fun, and that little Chevy packs a punch with the LS3. I race off road though, no cones!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not to worried about tires, rotors and other brake and wear components. It was built to drive. I do want to avoid paint scrapes though. I think they have a class geared toward the camaro, mustang and cars like this, but I think they have something about tire ratings.

I am going to the first event in may to watch and ask questions. I'm going to take the car and not run it. The wife made one heck of a face when I mentioned auto cross, but I told her it's safer than the streets. Less than 4000lbs, LS3 and 50/50 weight make for some mean corner taking. I need to find a way to do it without killing anybody.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I'm not to worried about tires, rotors and other brake and wear components. It was built to drive. I do want to avoid paint scrapes though. I think they have a class geared toward the camaro, mustang and cars like this, but I think they have something about tire ratings.

I am going to the first event in may to watch and ask questions. I'm going to take the car and not run it. The wife made one heck of a face when I mentioned auto cross, but I told her it's safer than the streets. Less than 4000lbs, LS3 and 50/50 weight make for some mean corner taking. I need to find a way to do it without killing anybody.

FS class (however you need to see if your SS is in there). Class rules change yearly. requirement used to be only to have DOT approved street tires. Shaved Kumhos from Tire Rack fit the bill. Your wife will kill you when she finds how much your spending in tires, alignments, etc. no avoiding paint scrapes if you hit cones, however its better than hitting another car or the retaining wall.

A few other things they allow, increased camber (within factory limits). to do this, you need to use factory "crash bolts" better setup for the track, however will eat tires on the street. The guys I worked with back then had dedicated Auto-X cars. mainly "trunk kit equipped" Neon ACR's, Camaro SS's, S-2000's, a few miatas, lotus's, RX-7's etc.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Scott. ..I've never seen that document, thanks. It actually looks like FS since that's where the camaro and G8 run.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I didnt see your car listed in either categories. however you will want to check with your current Auto-X club for rule/class verification.

they may throw you into STP

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, it wasn't listed so it will be a guess based on someone else's judgement. I don't care where it goes as long as I can play. I'm not looking to win, just have fun. If I want to win, I'll just drive it to a drag strip. Only the big boys are low 12s or faster.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I understand the desire for fun. just letting you know, you may end up in a different class. with your car, you also wont get out of 2nd gear. my boss and his Camaro SS only hit 3rd once. most of the time he was in 2nd for the best lap times

my daily driver in college was a 12 second car. just a warmed over little 3.8 liter buick..... stuffed into an opel GT. the era that I drag raced in Kaukauna, there was even a little tri-Z (atv) chassis with a 440cc snomobile motor, drag slicks, and a wheelie bar on it that did the 1/4 in 10 seconds. I think the whole thing with driver weighed in at 380#