TOOLS EXPLAINED BY AN ENGINEER

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have this list above my workstation at my desk. thought I would share

TOOLS EXPLAINED BY AN ENGINEER
To the uninitiated, the workshop can be an intimidating place, full of tools you may not know what to do with. To help, here's a helpful explanation of common tools and their uses.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted part which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned cleco calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, "Oh ****!"

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

WELDING GLOVES: Heavy duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

WELDER: Device used to firmly attach Vise-Grips to frame and bracket. Source of intense heat to ignite unseen flammable materials

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub you want the bearing race out of.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG YELLOW PINE 2X4: Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps neatly off in bolt holes thereby ending any possible future use.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminium sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

1" DIAMETER X 24" LONG PIPE: A tool for turning ratchet wrenches into free spinning devices. Also handy for removing all the skin from ones knuckles.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 24-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A very large pry bar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw....enough said

ENGLISH WHEEL: Large C-framed device for turning perfectly flat steel into wrinkled scrap that does not stack well in the trash can

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids and for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws. Mostly used as a small pry bar.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

NITRIL GLOVE: thin rubber glove used to protect ones hands from grease and other chemicals. completely dissolves in brake cleaner or lacquer thinner

DAMMIT TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Adding a few for the Marine Crowd

PROPELLER PULLER: A tool with the sole purpose of giving the owner hope of saving a propeller, while simultaneously damaging the propeller shaft

ETHER: Normally used on a 4-cycle internal combustion engine to aid in starting a motor in sub zero temperatures. Also used to ruin 2-cycle outboards

BLEACH: a liquid substance for removing mold and mildew from the bilge, also used in ruining the clothes you are wearing

SNOBOWL CLEANER: a cheap toilet cleaner from the dollar stores that also makes a great hull cleaner

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What's there to add? You covered everything completely and quite accurately I have to say. :pound:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What's there to add? You covered everything completely and quite accurately I have to say. :pound:

I have been adding to the list every year based on real experiences. That reminds me. Need to add air nozzle for blowing carb jet thru garage window

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hammer : A tool that you use when you don't own the proper tool for the job.

The corollary...when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have been adding to the list every year based on real experiences. That reminds me. Need to add air nozzle for blowing carb jet thru garage window

Oh yes that has to go on that list. I forgot about that. I'm sure if I think real hard....wait...that will hurt...maybe I can think of some other things to add as well. :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WIRE CUTTER - A hand held multipurpose tool used to make wires too short, but can also launch wire parts to never seen before places in your shop as well as face and eyes. Can be used to cut finger nails as well as nick threaded screws so the nut will never fit again.

ANGLE GRINDER - A tool that allows you to turn fiberglass it into white powder to cover everything in your shop. Can also be used to open up the hull so you can see the floor without getting out and looking underneath. Great to use on special occasions to give that festive sparkler shower when used with certain metals. Also great at removing both clothes and skin before you can find the off switch.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
AIR COMPRESSOR ? A great place to store air and water until you?re ready to spray paint! Also a great tool to launch carburetor parts through glass windows to allow fresh air in or send parts into the yard to start a new life.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Oxy/acetylene torch - fire wrench. Used to remove bolts, nuts, parts of the project and also replace the drill to make non-round holes for bolts. A great hand warmer until the blisters form. Then you'll be able to provide the heat yourself.

Welder - to put back together what was disassembled with the fire wrench. It'll be a work of art.

The only two tools you really need. Except for the screw driver/pry bar and the hammer for alignments.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Multi Meter Leads: Used to probe around electrical wiring and circuit boards until connection with a good ground is found shorting out the piece of expensive equipment your working on.

For you refrigeration guys and gals.

Refrigerant hose low loss fitting seals: Designed to prevent liquid refrigerant from causing instant frost bite as you try to remove your gauges from equipment. Actually designed to fail at the exact moment you need them the most, there for guaranteeing loss of charge and a nice frost bite burn on your hands and fingers.

Refrigerant leak dye: Designed to be used to look for refrigerant leaks. Actually used to stain everything your wearing, and all the items in the general vicinity with uv dye that will Never Come Off! Also making the whole unit look like one big leak.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
36" 1/2" drive breaker bar. More uses than I can count. Works great for fishing thing out from under the bench.
3lb. mall. The great equalizer.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
In the Navy we had a class named "Tools and their Uses"

The introduction to each tool was a description of the most common way the tool got mis-used.

We liked to call the class: "Tools and their abuses"

thumpar

Admiral
Not really a tool but,

Jesus clip: An e-clip that you remove and it flies across the room and you hell "Jesus".

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not really a tool but,

Jesus clip: An e-clip that you remove and it flies across the room and you hell "Jesus".

I thought they were called "C" clips for see you later. :pound: