In the middle of a pretty big home improvement project

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
So we've needed new carpet/flooring in our living room and hallway for a few years. The wife and I were constantly going back and forth because she wanted a floating floor put in, and I wanted to stick with carpet.. Well, in a way I lost the argument (imaging that!) but at the same time I didn't. I decided to try my hand at a pretty big project. I decided that, since I can get a virtually unlimited supply of clean, heat treated (no chemicals) wooden pallets, I would start breaking them down and finally using my wood shop I built 7 years ago and used maybe 10 times lol..

Anyhow, I'm still somewhat in the beginning stages of the project, but I have completed quite a few boards using my own home-made stain and using some other little tricks. So far, this is what I have come up with.... I'll be the first to admit, it's a TON of work and even more sandpaper, but in the end it's gonna be well worth it. the Pictures showing a bunch of boards together don't really do it justice, the darker boards almost look burnt in the pics but trust me their not lol

The first picture show's the steps from left to right (didn't get a pic of how bad of shape the wood was in before I ran them through my planer and sanded them)

KIMG0144.jpg KIMG0146.jpg
KIMG0149.jpg KIMG0152.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Even if you plan on using 100% coverage mastic plus face nailing, I'd recommend adding tongue and groove to the ends and sides.

The floor you're covering is above grade, not below, correct?

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even if you plan on using 100% coverage mastic plus face nailing, I'd recommend adding tongue and groove to the ends and sides.

The floor you're covering is above grade, not below, correct?

Already in the works on the tongue and groove.. Thank god for my shopsmith tool lol

jbcurt00

Staff member
See, stockpiling wood, misc wood supplies and woodworking tools DOES pay off sometimes.

Been telling mine that for years.

My dad is still burning scraps and making stuff outta hardwood flooring cutoffs I gave him nearly 20yrs ago, in what seems another life, and he didnt take all of it...

I LOVED working w Brazilian Cherry plank flooring and some 12in wide black walnut and american cherry harvested off the home owners land.

Good luck

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Should make a beautiful floor !
Good luck and keep us posted ... Hopefully one day I can put together a decent wood shop and do projects like that also ..

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, like I said it's a LOT of work, but in the end it's going to be well worth it to be able to say I didn't go pay out the wazoo for fake wood and did it myself. I really enjoy working with wood making different things just never really put the time into learning techniques, just kinda fly by the seat of my pants and learn as I go. Not that I'm a 'tree-hugger' but I also love the thought that I'm repurposing wood that would otherwise be destroyed or burnt. The only problem is, right now my garage looks like a friggin assembly line right now with the boat project in one bay, and tables and tools in the other bay for the flooring! lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
counrtyboy, I second the tongue and groove idea as well. No other way to keep wood (when it expands and contacts) from showing joint openings and the lower surface if you don't joint them with T&G joints. I have to ask, what is the thickness and how are you applying the flooring. Milling your own wood is interesting and time consuming. But it can be rewarding and fun as well. Amazing what is available when you take the time to plane, sand and mill your own board from rough-cut wood. I actually buy all my hardwood that way, or get it free off the side of the road where construction piping is being buried. They give such wood away if you ask them. It is seriously cheaper and you get to finish it your way. Having the correct power tools is that answer indeed. Keep posting you progress. I like it. :thumb:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Real ambitious project......how many square feet do you figure you will do?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Repurposing pallets is all the rage right now...pallet furniture everywhere. If I have to see another pinterest picture of a pallet project, I swear. I like the idea of doing pallet wood floors but if it is soft pine, not so sure about the durability. Those pictures are too cool and I won't be showing them to my wife.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
90$ plus of the pallet wood around here is hardwood but it's also green. I would suspect that the "drying" will change it quite a bit. Once dried and flat it should last a long time