Jamestown Marina, Lake Cumberland

aspeck

Staff member
Some reports have said up to 500 boats damaged! Ouch!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eIXGM3CbGKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's a mess. I sure hate it for those folks. It's pretty amazing what the weight of snow and ice can do.

That video reminds me of Frisco boaters cruiser getting damaged during that ice storm that hit Dallas a few years ago.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
That's a mess. I sure hate it for those folks. It's pretty amazing what the weight of snow and ice can do.

That video reminds me of Frisco boaters cruiser getting damaged during that ice storm that hit Dallas a few years ago.

Yes, I was thinking about Frisco Boater's cruiser as well. Was that last year or 2 years ago?

Tnstratofam

Commander
It might have been last spring. I know their docks were in pretty bad shape, but I don't think they had any boats go down. Mostly just upper deck damage and radar archs destroyed. Along with the obvious damage to the slips themselves.

I wonder in these situations who is responsible for damages to the boats? The marina, the boat owner, or both?

southkogs

Staff member
Aaaaauuuuuugggggghhhhh ... that is so slow and painful to watch!

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The local news had video of quite a few vessels at Lake Cumberland almost completely submerged under the collapsed covered slips at least three different marinas. It's a real mess that will likely have a negative effect on the boating economy down there. The lake was just getting back to normal after the multi-year water level drawdown for the dam repairs.

aspeck

Staff member
It might have been last spring. I know their docks were in pretty bad shape, but I don't think they had any boats go down. Mostly just upper deck damage and radar archs destroyed. Along with the obvious damage to the slips themselves.

I wonder in these situations who is responsible for damages to the boats? The marina, the boat owner, or both?

My understanding is most of the marinas in that area are state run, so good luck with getting any money out of the state. However, there are supposedly a lot of adjusters that have set up shop in the parking lot to handle the claims ... I see a lot of boat sales and boat repairs in the near future.

alldodge

Staff member
Docks are owned by the marina operators (individuals or out of state companies) and locations are leased by the Corps of Engineers. The State does own one of the docks on each lake where the Lodge is. The Corps gets fees from each dock based on amount of slips and total sales made. It is up to the owners of the docks to repair/replace.

I see this as an insurance case and just hope the docks have a good enough policy. Don't know what the fine print will be, but sure hope everyone (dock and boat owners) can break even

Tnstratofam

Commander
I see a potential glut in the project boat market for that area. Not to mention a very busy clist.

I really hope like alldodge said everybody breaks even.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
All the sunk boats will have to be raised by law, there are boat movers in the local area, that will take them to a repair facility or salvage area. Since it is freahwater repairs will not be a HUGE issue. Almost all the HOUSEBOATS were built within a 25 mile area of Lake Cumberland. Maybe I can get a good deal on a rehabbed 40-55ft houseboat...then put it on DaleHollow as a summer home.